On the Clock ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Don Castavez, Apr 23, 2020.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Only WR worth taking at 24 that was still on the board was Aiyuk, and at best, he would be the number 3 we need after Thomas and Sanders. But did we really need to use a number one pick on a 3? If JJ, Lamb, or Jeudy had fallen to 24, yep, grab 'em, cuz those guys are potentially even better than Sanders. Likewise, I wouldn't have objected to Ruggs at 24, because he could have been the deep threat we're still lacking. Of course, Brees can't throw the deep ball any more anyway, so.....oh well. And I'll throw this out there, and its pure conjecture on my part, but I think you're going to see them try to work Deonte Harris into the offensive plan a lot more this year. He's the potential wild card people forget about among our WR's.

Again....all the scouting reports indicate Ruiz can play center or guard. And don't forget, they said the same thing last year about McCoy! Maybe they think Ruiz at center and McCoy at RG is an upgrade from McCoy at C and Warford at RG. I don't know; Payton, Loomis and Ireland aren't running these things by me, for some reason.

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I have calmed down since last night also. Saints last 4 1st round picks have hit. They know what they are doing. This is a second level decision. Much more thought involved. Not just based on immediate need.

mctiger likes this.
  3. mctiger

Dude, this take is an epic fail, and it gets worse every time you repeat it. Let it go.

KyleK likes this.
  4. mctiger

LOL, Jim Haslett was coaching the Saints when Webster and Clark came into the league, and Faulk came in during Ditka's time. (now there was a draft day shit show conductor) I think we can forgive Payton for not drafting them....and btw, Faulk and Webster were one-team careers, so we didn't even have a shot at them in free agency. But when you (and I mean football people in general, not LSU fans) started talking about those guys as being difference makers? Let's move to Addai, since he actually came in during the Payton era and I can remember a little more about that team, and he went to 2 SBs with the Colts. Historians who look at those teams are talking about Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Clark, Freeney. They're not pointing out Joseph Addai as an elite player for that team. Clark and Webster were starters for those teams.....were they elite? Clark wasn't even elite at LSU! Webster was, but not in the pros.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

When they do something good on draft day I will. So far I'm spot on!

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Positions where an elite player can most affect chances of winning at a high level are QB, WR. EDGE. LB and DB. LSU QB's - none. WR's, yes but play for bad teams. EDGE, the only 2 never became what they were projected to be. LB - yes but again with bad teams. We will see what Devin White does if the Bucs are as improved as they hope to be with the additions of Brady and Gronkowski. DB - Many but with bad teams until Mathieu was traded to Kansas City. PP7 and Jamal Adams could help a good team become better. So could Tredavious White.

7. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

You didn't say Payton era players in your original post. You said you could only remember 1 LSU player, Mathieu who was a key contributor to a SB team. I'm just reminding you of the other greats.

Clark went to a pro bowl and held the back end of a monster Steelers Defense.
    Webster wasn't a pro bowler but was the starting corner for two Giant SB teams. He was good enough that I did not like him.
    Addai's stats in the SB Colts won was why they beat Chicago. He may be a forgotten man among those greats you mentioned but they could not have done it without him.
    And Kevin Faulk, he became a Patriot hall of famer. And a Louisiana hall of famer.

I'm not trying to pick at you. Remember the Tigers.

Winston1 and furduknfish like this.
  8. mctiger

Nope, and your fail gets deeper. Ramczyk is the best RT in the game, he and Armstead are the best pair of OTs in the biz. Who's better than cantguardmike? Who would you rather have than CamJordan? We've mentioned McCoy. You've mentioned Kamara. Lattimore is edge of elite, so is Rankins, and Davenport and Onyemata are barely a step behind. Hendrickson, Gardner-Johnson, Anzalone, Vonn Bell.....anyone would want these guys. Since Jeff Ireland came aboard the Saints have been a top draft team, period.

KyleK likes this.
  9. mctiger

I know, but the point is, we remember these players because we're Tiger fans. When your typical Raider or Redskin fan talks about the Colts Super Bowl teams, they talk about Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Freeney. They're not talking about Addai, although Colts fans probably are.

10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Peyton remembers Joe well. Speaks often and highly of him. Same way many non-fans don't really pay attention to Clyde but he was instrumental for this champ team and the Chiefs recognized it.

Bengal B likes this.