OM GBU - Good, Bad, and Ugly

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm tired of losing and "being pleased with the effort." This is the one game a year when our players have their game faces complex turned on and give max effort. Unfortunately several of those losses wrre due to poor coaching decisions by Miles and Third and Chavis.

If our defense is at full strength we should keep their scoring down enough to keep the game in hand but I can't see us scoring many pointed against their D without a more effectively passing game.
    I guess I'll just have to be pleased with the effort once again.

el005639, lsu-i-like and ParadiseiNC like this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Does anyone know why we don’t have a devoted STs coach?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What's the name of the STs consultant? I forget. Anyway it's an NCAA rule that there can only be 9 assistant coaches. It was anticipated that the NCAA was going to check the rule and allow 10 and he would be prompted to coach status. Then they didn't change the rule.

The KO coverage was turrible, turrible last night but why wasn't Gamble kicking them deep in the end zone the way he had been doing?

4. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

This may sound stupid and not have any bearing on it, but there was a good bit of wind in the upper part of the stadium last night. I liked it because the breeze in the lower bowl kept the temp very comfortable. Like I said it may have nothing to do with it but it was blowing.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm not about to get my hopes up with regard to the Bama game. It would be incredible, of course, to actually beat them, but I'm afraid that both of our lines are going to be abused because, let's face it, much better lines than we have now have been abused plenty in the past few years.

With all of that being said, no one on earth could have convinced me that we would have won all of our games in October after the way most of our September went, so I'm very pleased with the grit that this Tiger team has gone out and shown. Props to the coaches for getting us back on track when losing the team for good seemed like the direction we were headed.

Our special teams coverage is also going to be a big concern going into the Bama game.

Last night was the first time that Guice looked like his 2016 self, and Key (and his 20 lost pounds) is coming on strong here lately.

At the very least, LSU football has been fun to watch this month (with the exception of the first quarter/half against AU--but it was all worth it to punch them in the mouths and beat them the way we did down the stretch.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    TigerSnarl, Winston1, CaryLab and 7 others like this.
  6. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

One thing I noticed with the Bama vs TAMU game - the short quick passing game is what advanced the ball on Bama. Hope the coaches also saw that.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

That may be, but we still don't have much of a short, quick passing game. Same story, different year.

CaryLab and HalloweenRun like this.
  8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

It defies logic, if the qb is struggling, make the passes short, if the line is not blocking well, keep the passes short. IDK!

9. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

... but this year, unlike past years, I see real promise of our offense improving with the current coaching staff.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Agree. Look at last night. We ran between tackles but not in the same old way. There were counters and traps with angles that allowed Guice and Williams to break outside. What about the 60 TD to Moreau? That was set up by previous plays. I see Canada implementing a game plan that takes one series of plays to set up another.
    Granted execution is still uneven but it improves every week...at least since Troy. We've beaten 3 SEC teams each with a different game plan. If you don't see that you're not looking. Look at the o-line with 3 freshmen and 2 juniors. It's getting better each week and will likely return all 5 starters next year. The D is young as well and returns the great majority of starters.
    I know 'wait to next year' is old for all of us, too old. However I see real potential assuming we keep Aranda & Canada and only Guice and Key leave early.

ParadiseiNC and ROY_LA_CA like this.