Official LSU vs Alabama Game Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I forgot to list my prediction in this thead so I will now do that by re-visiting the last time Nick Saban's team played LSU!

A little history lesson!
    http://independencebowl.org/History.html
    In 1995 the bowl enjoyed what was its greatest success to date with a sellout crowd watching in-state favorite LSU take on Michigan State. The Tigers and Spartans put on an offensive clinic, as 28 points were scored in less than two minutes of play. LSU won that contest 45-26 and helped to elevate the bowl another notch.

I'm predicting the same exact score for the fun of it although I don't think either team will score this many points.
    I actually think :lsup: will win by the same point differential and Saban will be 0-2 vs LSU!

2. BAMA DON

BAMA DON Freshman

Early in the year I think LSU would have won by 5 youchdowns.. Since then, you've suffered some injuries, and your powerful defense has been exposed a little at times, also there have been a few offenses lapses, and inconsistency. You still have a tenacious and powerful defensive line however. In the meantime Bama has gotten a better handle on it's offensive scheme and Saban has instilled some discipline in the Bama defense. He's also found a few SEC quality players even though most are very young. Except at receiver you have the edge in quality and depth at every key position. If Bama is to win they have to play at the very top of their game. A few interceptions, fumbles and penalties by LSU would help our cause.
    I expect it to be a tough game for Bama as we cannot compete physically.
    But we can score and therefore I expect the offense to keep us in the game.
    Maybe there will be a 4th quarter miracle for Bama. We do have some refs in our pockets.:grin:

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'm sure you'll get a chuckle out of this, and I would if I were in your shoes as well.

Those fans that weren't happy with JPW, weren't happy because he wasn't living up to their expectations. He wasn't living up to mine as well.

However, I kept reminding myself of a couple of things. There was only one *mistake* he made that resulted in an opponent scoring a TD. That was the fumble against FSU. He did level off against UGA and FSU...but, those that were laying the blame of those losses at his feet really don't understand the game. I won't go into a lot of detail here, but, as example, the two touchdowns that UGA had were both mistakes made on the defensive side of the ball with one player giving the scheme away too early in the snap count. It's something that was expected, but most didn't look at the entire picture.

You know, now that I think about it, you mention Bama fans not being happy with JPW isn't much different than LSU fans calling for RP. It's always the backup, right?

4. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Only thing I wish JPW had was the long ball. If he had Brodie Croyle's cannon, we would be 8-0 right now.

We would have many more long TD plays also. Too many times, recievers have been wide open deep but they have to come back to the ball and make a play--they can never stay in stride and walk into the endzone. If he would make the decision to throw the ball a little sooner, we would be in great shape.

Yeah, anyone can be a critic...It's a little bit harder on the field. You also cant fault the guy for having a mediocre arm. I dont--I just wish he had one like Croyle.

5. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

A question for all our Bama friends,

How bad do you think Mr. Nick ( I made LSU, they were nothing before I came and will be nothing as soon as my presence is gone) Saban wants to win this one? Think it's just another game? He may say that, and I bet he does, but when he says it, he's lying through his teeth!!

JMO

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I make this statement based on what he's done in the past.

In a recent press interview he was reflecting on his days at LSU and you could tell how much he appreciated the time there. Unlike a lot of LSU fans, he has a respect for your program vs respect for him and his time with you guys.

Secondly, and most importantly, the UT week has been a big deal around the football program in the past. Coach Bryant used to have the scout team in Orange, drinks orange, everything orange...just to get the players fired up for the game. Saban, on the other hand, approached it as just another game.

I think that last sentence may be one of the keys to this game. Does Miles have his team focused more on beating Saban than winning the game? Does he take a Houston Nutt approach? Will the players buy into it?

One thing I do know. Despite the talent difference between the two teams, the one in Crimson won't be intimidated at all. They'll walk on the field knowing they can win.

It's games like this I wish I was living in the 60's today. By the weekend, I'll hate watching TV when it comes to college football. It was said yesterday that this game is going to have more media hype than any game has since the Bryant era. I don't quite buy into that, but it's going to be up there.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Me too- talk is cheap Terry, he can say all the right things......now, his actions told us differently- not the actual leaving but the events that led up to it. I'm old school, if a man's word is no good......

His approach is the better imo. He's very good about keeping perspective on the "Task at hand" and one of his strengths that makes him a good coach. I can still see objectively about his coaching abilities, just can't "Like" him.

8. mattp868

mattp868 Freshman

cant wait to kick nicky's a$$

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'm waiting to see what Miles has to say to the press regarding the game. I think it'll be a good judge on what he's saying to team as well.

This game is going to be about where the focus is centered.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

This is all he has said so far about the game.