Official 2016 LSU Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by EyeoftheTiger 2015, Feb 17, 2015.

1. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

I believe I might have mentioned this quite a while ago but there is something amazingly unique about his highlights. And let's be clear...these are highlights like HIGHlights are for everyone. This is the very first time (and I have viewed probably 100 different defensive players' highlights over the years) that the first 7 plays he is on (technically defensive and special teams) he scored TDs. I have seen that obviously for offensive players many times but when his team doesn't even start the plays with the ball....wow, just wow!!! This guy IMO should be better than Mathieu for 2 reasons: 1) Tyrann Mathieu IMO was only about a C+ caliber cover guy. Alabama ate him alive in the NC game by taking advantage of his lack of height. He was a great defensive playmaker...cover guy, not so much. 2) Hopefully, SS will have better character off the field and will know that marijuana, synthetic or otherwise, has not been made legal in Louisiana :rolleyes:

LSUDad likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Hard to figure the dearth of linebacker recruits. Traditionally teams signed a lot of high school linebackers because they usually had size and athletic ability. Some of them bulked up and played on the line. Some them ended up at running back or fullback if there was a need. But there was rarely a shortage of linebacker talent. Chavis liked fast linebackers, even converting safeties to backers. Perhaps he couldn't find enough of those types and passed over too many.

3. EyeoftheTiger 2015

Chavis' long time philosophy of "hybrid LBers" hit the wall. What LSU ended up with were safety sized guys playing LBer. :oops: Kwon Alexander was able to pull it off because he is just a physical player but most of those "tweeners" who were too small to play LBer and not good enough cover guys to play safety simply ended up transferring from LSU, special teams players and 2nd teamers, Bottom line...he just did a hideous job of recruiting his own coaching position. :mad: As I've documented before, the last 12 LBers LSU/Chavis signed, IMO 3 of them panned out. The 3 are Beckwith, K Alexander, and I'm assuming Clifton Garrett will be a stud...looks like a can't miss guy to me. But all those other guys were either total busts or certainly not SEC-caliber starters. In his last 2 years at LSU, he avoided that bad stat by basically not signing anyone. :rolleyes: That was 2 LBers total the last 2 years and yes, he gets the blame for last year. When Steele came on board...way, way too late to do anything about it at that point. Leo Lewis was really about the only LBer still left on the board for LSU since Chavis had stiffed pretty much everyone else. The proof of that is that A&M after Chavis went there got squat at LBer also. And if you want a specific name on a guy that Chavis screwed the pooch on just this past class, it was Arthur McGinnis....from LA, a 4* guy with good LBer size, that amazingly a bunch of major programs offered....LSU under Chavis never did.

ROY_LA_CA likes this.
  4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I agree LB recruiting under Chavis was sub par, but so was development. LSU did end up with some talented athletic LBs, but they very seldom seemed to turn into quality SEC LB's. I'm not sure Steele could do worse, I just hope he does much better. LB was a glaring weakness under Chavis IMO. However overall defense was pretty damn good, I don't care what anyone says. I really hope Steele is up to the challenge. I think yaw yaw will upgrade the DL. I think Raymond has the DBs exactly where you want them. Steele just needs to upgrade LB recruiting and development plus be average as DC and the LSU D should be outstanding. I have to admit I'm really skeptical of the Steele hire, IMO he has a lot to prove.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. EyeoftheTiger 2015

Perry Riley developed pretty well...so did Kevlin Shepard, but I think Chavis walked in on the recruitment of those guys. Kevin Minter developed well also. So I can't fault the guy's development that much but he fell in love with "hybrid LBers", the football game changed, and he didn't adjust. As far as his overall defense, I repeat his 3 horrible problems. 1) LSU's defense was horrible at forcing turnovers the last couple of years...near the bottom of the SEC.. 2) you have to get the opponent off the field when you get them in 3rd and longs, he didn't 3) LSU was near the bottom in the SEC in sacks. Here's the thing...if you can't rush the passer with 4 guys, rush 5...if you can't get to the QB with 5 guys, rush 6. That explains 2) above also BTW.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

LSU now with a whopping 94.57 average rating on 247sports for 2016 (9 recruits). To put that into perspective, it's better than Alabama's 2015 average player rating, which netted 6 five star recruits.

7. EyeoftheTiger 2015

Like I said months ago, I expect LSU to have not only the top 2016 class but the best recruiting class of all time...as rated by the "points" system. I only see 2 ways that doesn't happen. 1) LSU gets "cute" and finds a couple of "diamonds in the rough" and as I have harped on many, many times, the services don't see/rate everyone so they may stick LSU with "sleeper" ratings no matter how good the players really are 2) LSU doesn't over-sign like most other teams do almost every year. But even if 2) happens, IF LSU gets up to 24 or 25 signees, I think LSU still breaks the record. I still see LSU getting 5 or 6 5* recruits and unless 1) occurs above, I don't see them signing anyone less than a 4*...I expect Chattman to move up to 4* and if he does, LSU would have no one lower than 4* at this point.

LSU John likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That has never happened and won't likely ever happen, I suspect. Coaches always find underrated players and sign them and it has worked too well for them to change anything. I don't think they pay any attention at all to "star ratings". Some 3-star players will shine at the upcoming camps and will receive offers.

9. EyeoftheTiger 2015

I hear you and I wouldn't bet against your point. having said that, I will say this is a very, very unique year. LA is probably the strongest I have ever seen it...better IMO than 2 years ago. And not only that but in the right positions like DT and LBer for example...NOT at RB or WRer like usual where LSU really doesn't need to sign many there. Also, what ALWAYS kills the possibility is signing a punter, snapper, or PK. LSU IMO will sign none of those. I'm just saying...the best chance I have ever seen where a team could legitimately sign no one lower than a 4*. Last year Alabama signed 6 5* but still had 3 3* in the class.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

TM7 was a 3* as was many other great players.

Our staff does a great job on getting good players minus the QB.

LSU John and LSUDad like this.