Offensive Coordinator predictions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Perple, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Any predictions or favorites?

I like Mike Denbrock at Cincy. Has ND/Kelly ties. Love to get him.

Also, like Jeff Grimes at Baylor. 11 wins with Baylor level talent. Has LSU ties. IMO, he developed the last good OL line we had at LSU, before heading to Baylor. Has a good mix of passing & rushing in his current Offense. Also, doubt he would tolerate crappy Oline play.

There are a whole bunch of good OC's out there. Any predictions, thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm not saying I don't like those guys but it almost feels like they are on the cusp of taking that next step. If they come here and show out it puts that on a fast track. I'd hope that we can keep a guy for at least 3 years and I don't know that either of those would make it before jumping ship for a promotion. Guess we see

LSUTiga and Hou-duco like this.
  3. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Yes, I agree we need to keep an OC for 3 seasons, instead of changing OC's almost every year. That doesn't work. I'm not sure on sure either Mike Denbrock or to a lesser degree, Jeff Grimes are the answer. They are not young coordinators. Although Grimey is only 53. But just looked at a Top 5 list that had Jake Peetz as a top candidate. And thought hell, I'd take either before keeping Peetz.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

I like Grimes resume. I'd take him.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I don’t mind them leaving if they do good here… point is we want good here…

lsu-i-like and Winston1 like this.
  6. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

It’s gonna be Herman

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm not opposed to it

8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

hard for me to imagine the guy who yes then no would be brought in but who knows….

9. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Maybe after the bowl games we’ll know but hopefully before…

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

https://footballscoop.com/news/brian-kelly-lsu-sec-nfl-coordinators

Offensively, numerous sources this week told FootballScoop that Kelly is expected to reunite with Mike Denbrock, Kelly’s former Notre Dame offensive coordinator and assistant head coach who spent seven seasons alongside Kelly in South Bend, Indiana.

Denbrock, who also previously worked with Kelly at NCAA Division II power Grand Valley State early in both coaches’ careers, has spent the past five seasons as the offensive play-caller for Luke Fickell’s Cincinnati program.

Denbrock’s Bearcats’ offense in 2020 was among the nation’s best in several categories and, behind veteran quarterback Desmond Ridder has Cincinnati undefeated, ranked No. 4 in the CFP and preparing for a semifinal showdown opposite top-ranked Alabama Dec. 31 in the Cotton Bowl – the first-ever Group of 5 program to punch a playoff ticket.

Per sources, and with the NCAA’s early signing period having just closed and recruiting not set to resume until the second week of January, Denbrock is expected to finish out the Bearcats’ playoff run before he would formally execute a contract-agreement with LSU and Kelly.

Multiple sources likewise told FootballScoop that Kelly had discussed the offensive coordinator position with Georgia play-caller Todd Monken, though sources said Monken has expressed a desire to remain with the Bulldogs.

On the defensive side of the ball, Kelly has set his target – per sources -- on an up-and-coming NFL assistant coach Matt House, the Kansas City Chiefs’ linebackers coach who spent almost two decades coaching at the collegiate level before he exited the University of Kentucky three years ago for an opportunity with the Chiefs.

House, a Michigan native who graduated from Michigan State, has been heavily pursued in recent years for multiple college defensive coordinator positions – most notably this past winter, when the University of Tennessee and Josh Heupel made a hard push with a lucrative, multi-year contract proposal to get House away from the Chiefs and back to the collegiate game.

House has maintained a very close relationship with his former colleague at Kentucky, Wildcats’ defensive coordinator Brad White – who within the past week rejected Kelly’s overtures and elected to remain on Mark Stoops’s Big Blue staff. House served two seasons as the Wildcats' defensive coordinator in 2017-18, the latter year a break-through 10-win season for the Wildcats.

shane0911 likes this.