Off season 2019

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Mar 11, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Honestly, I think there's a little of both. Brees has the same kind of trust in Thomas that he had in Colston, and will throw him what would be bad passes if they went to a lot of other receivers. But Brees has faith that Thomas will go get the ball, and he usually does.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Still need somebody to step up and take the pressure off of Thomas. Hopefully Ginn will stay healthy but who else? Kirkwood had some good plays last season but was inconsistent.

3. mctiger

Well, the first tweet from practice I saw yesterday noted that Brees hit Jared Cooks on a long pass. Brees' best seasons usually come when he has a genuine target at tight end.

fanatic likes this.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I know, it's absurd. Same thing with a FA D-lineman they signed the other day. It was such a splash that I can't even remember the dude's name, Ziggy or something like that. Journeyman player who's basically just a body and no expectations to make any kind of impact. Hope I'm wrong.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Camp bodies who will get cut before the first game.

6. fanatic

That's the million dollar question. I think it's both. If you look at other elite receivers, they've always had a complimentary receive to help them out. Julio Jones has Calvin Ridley last year and had Tony Gonzales for a number of years before he retired, Antonio Brown had Ju Ju Smith-Schuster the last few years. OBJ is really the only one that hasn't had a tandem receiver to help him. Maybe Sterling Shepard, but I'm not sure if he qualifies. MT hasn't really had that either. Has Drew made him better? Of course, but if Ginn can stay health and Jared Cooks has the kind of impact we're all hoping for, then MT has the potential to have an even better year than last. He'd better if the Saints are willing to give him 1/10 of their salary cap or whatever.

7. fanatic

Not if we need depth. The LB we signed will most likely be gone, but with Rankins being on the PuP, I think we'll need those bodies up front. Hopefully, they can make an impact.

8. mctiger

Ziggy Hood; he could stick around, especially if Rankins is slow coming back....not expecting a great deal from him this year anyway. The Martin signing makes no sense to me.

9. mctiger

Going back to the WR situation, I'm always looking at the receivers and trying to plug them into the roles that were filled during the Super Bowl season. Thomas is in the Colston role, obviously, and Ginn plays Henderson's role. @Bengal B mentioned Kirkwood, and I like his potential, but don't sleep on Cam Meredith. His skill set when healthy reminds me a lot of Robert Meachem, big body and good hands, speed to get deep although not a bona fide burner. Nice complement on the other side of the field to Thomas. Tre'quan has Lance Moore's skills in a bigger body, quickness to work from the slot and get open underneath, and very good after the catch.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. mctiger

Saints legend Morton Andersen became an American citizen yesterday

kcal and Bengal B like this.