News Obesity very high in 13 states; many in South

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Smilodon, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Veteran Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/obesity-very-high-13-states-many-south-6C10929638

Obesity very high in 13 states; many in South
    BY MIKE STOBBE The Associated Press
    • Related: Heavy burden: Obesity may be even deadlier than thought
      Louisiana and Mississippi led the list. In both, nearly 35 percent of adults were obese. Colorado was lowest, with less than 21 percent obese.
      It's not surprising states in the South and Midwest top the charts year after year, experts say. Many states in those regions have higher poverty rates.
      "When you have a limited income, you have to buy foods that are cheap. And foods that are cheap tend to have a lot of sugar and salt and fat," said Dr. George Bray, an obesity expert at Louisiana State University.
      The CDC defines someone as obese if their weight-to-height ratio — called a "body mass index" — hits 30 or higher. A 5-foot-9 person would be considered obese at 203 pounds or more.
      The CDC's annual telephone survey asks adults their height and weight. Overall, nearly 28 percent of Americans were obese, the 2012 survey found. That's roughly the same as it's been since 2008.
      Another CDC survey — which weighs and measures participants — is considered more accurate. Since the middle of the last decade, that survey has found that around 35 percent of U.S. adults are obese.
      The story may be different with children. A CDC study released last week showed — for the first time — slight drops in obesity for low-income preschoolers in 18 states.
      Experts called that report encouraging, but note it studied children fed through a federal program which provides food vouchers and other services. The decline in obesity was largely attributed to program changes — instituted in 2009 — that eliminated juice from infant food packages, provided less saturated fat, and made it easier to buy fruits and vegetables.
      © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Cause northern food sucks. My ex is from Illinois. She can't cook. Her momma can't cook and her sister can't cook. All they know how to do is microwave. And when they do cook on the stove, its bland as a mufukr.

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Very True. Lived in the mid-west for 5 years and the food is so bland. It's impossible to find a great local restaurant. They are happy to go to Applebees or Chilis and eat re-heated frozen food.

gyver likes this.
  4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I lived in the mid-west through high school, fine dining there was applebees and golden corral... I used to have to take my own tobasco to go out to eat because it was too spicy for them to provide it, and the food sucked ass.

gyver likes this.
  5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Smilodon, I get it. You have a big bitch don't you.

GregLSU likes this.
  6. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

There are more skinny people up north because the food sucks, women are ugly and their football teams suck. They are some miserable MF's. Just a theory but hey it's all true.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Nah there's a ton of fugly and fat-as-all-fuk chicks up North. I'd be willing to venture there's more obesity up North than down here overall. At least down here you can look around and find 5 out of 8 chicks as fuckable... there... yeh not so much.