Obama weakens and endangers America once again...

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Apr 17, 2009.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

There is a standard of morality that was declared by God in his Scripture and for the most part adopted by this country's legal system. If you don't believe in that standard then I understand your argument.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am opposed to both the death penalty and abortion, but for entirely different reasons, and I see no contradiction in being opposed to abortion and in favor of the death penalty.

Abortion takes the life of an innocent. That is reason enough to oppose it for me.

I am anti-death penalty for a number of reasons:
    • There are adequate alternative means to inprison violent criminals such as maximum security jails.
    • The death penalty has failed as a deterent to violent crime
    • The death penalty is inequitably levied against the poor and minorities
    • The death penalty is not reverseable

None of these reasons place any value on the life of the convicted. They all demonstrate that the death penalty is not necessary for justice to be served.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's not a judgement so much as an opinion. I think guys like McVeigh, Saddam and his progeny, Richard Ramirez, etc. needed to die. They forfeited their right occupy space on the planet. Everyone wants Bin Laden dead. Are they judging or reacting to what he has wrought. You reap what you sow.

Innocent, aborted babies, on the other hand, were never given the opportunity to lead a productive life due solely to the selfish motives of the one who happened to own the womb. There are exceptions of course so let's not go there.

4. LSUDeek

I find it interesting that no Pope has spoken ex cathedra on opposition to the death penalty.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I'm pretty open to others opinions, but I just havent heard a convincing argument to help me understand the logic or the contradiction. I believe in the Bible, but I dont necessary believe in the standard of morality that you speak of. Because the new testament teaches forgiveness not condemnation for sins. I guess thats where the dilemna lies for me.. The new convenant taught people how to live a moral life, but it didnt condemn people for their shortcomings.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

Well at least you have considerable logic behind your stance and opinion. That I can totally respect.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

Its really a muddled argument for me because I see exceptions to my stance against the death penalty. I guess I would be just as much in conflict, if I was pro-choice and anti death penalty.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

e

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

• There are adequate alternative means to imprison violent criminals such as maximum security jails.

Give me a guarantee that condemned murders will die in prison and I'll agree that executions are not necessary

• The death penalty has failed as a deterent to violent crime

This is impossible to know

• The death penalty is inequitably levied against the poor and minorities

Bull. It's levied against killers

• The death penalty is not reversible

That's the point.

10. LSUDeek

Would I personally avenge a violent crime by killing the perpetrator? Would I steal from a thief?

No, and that is the essence of Jesus' teaching of turn the other cheek. I don't believe that the New Covenant applies to law enforcement or governments. In fact, Jesus emphasized to render unto Caesar what is lawfully Caesar's.