Obama and Healthcare reform

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

"if they want to" . Maybe you should read your policy and play by the rules you agreed to.

Losing Loosing I don't give a **** how I type here.

Individuals are still in a pool. It's not like a self-insured pool.

I think you are confused.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yeah, that's a convincing explanation . . . :rolleye33:

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Your lack of knowlege is obvious. Quote the rest of my post.

4. red55

One of us is.

5. red55

If you insist. Once again simply calling someone ignorant doesn't demonstrate that I'm wrong. You'll have to work harder than that.

See the post above, this simply is not true. Aetna admits that it is trimming its client list to become more profitable. It is doing so by increasing its premiums to the level that 300,000+ are expected to be unable to afford it.

This also answers the martonian notion that insurance companies can't make insurance so expensive that people cannot afford it. They do indeed do this. They only need to increase profits, it is not their mission to be affordable.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Then Aetna will go out of business. If they don't, you are blaming the wrong people.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

lots of companies price things purposely so that only some folks can afford it. dosent mean everybody does.

it is apparent to me that the only thing we can really do is reduce the cost of the healthcare itself, and this is not done by manipulating insurance or having the government provide it.

again, we should start with tort reform and reducing the government manipulation of the food system and go from there. lets not get too crazy and be extremists just yet.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That's a bit misleading. The article you quoted indicated that Aetna expected to lose clients. That doesn't mean the 300k+ they lose will no longer be able to afford insurance, it could just as well mean that the 300k+ they lose will find it cheaper elsewhere and they're banking on making up for that with clients that are paying more money now.

9. red55

Tort reform would solve a tiny fraction of the wasted costs in health care and is not the obvious starting point. Converting to digital medical records would save billions and increase effectiveness of care, too. Doctors prescribing unnecessary tests and procedures because that is how they get compensated needs to be changed. Providers that "provide" $10 kleenex boxes and other overpriced supplies need to be dropped. Medicare needs to stop authorizing ridiculous expenditures and there are many, like a $16,000 motorized wheelchair for a complete invalid who was unable to use it.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

evil profit-minded companies are better at reducing costs.

i agree about medical records, but i dont see how government management will help speed us towards that goal. presumably there are lots of other inefficiencies in the system that i do not understand, most of which will be made worse by government control.