Obama and Healthcare reform

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Define...

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

More than he makes.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Doing nothing is clearly an option.

The truth is - a large majority of Americans have health care that they can afford and are happy with. So, in a democracy that values personal liberty, doing nothing is definitely an option.

Healthcare is not a right.

Having said all that - I would like to see litigation reform and some reasonable controls on insurance companies to make sure they don't become a defacto monopoly through complicit price fixing. But that falls WAAAAAAY short of the current entitlement-driven proposals and would almost be free. So clearly that's not good enough...

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

More than the same multinational corporations make selling the same drugs in other countries.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

That snipit is a bit misleading? They throw around the word sales and profit like they are the same. Not to mention they don't mention the Regulations the US has that drives these prices up and / or tort cases etc.

I would rather a comparison of apples to apples please sir.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont understand this issue very well, but i am pretty sure i agree with all this. i think the "doing nothing is not an option" thing is a silly scare tactic to force stupid policy.

healthcare companies will always want to sell services and make profits and people will always need healthcare. a situation where healthcare becomes too expensive for anyone can never arise, without government manipulation of prices, which for all i know is the case now, perhaps through allwoing frivolous lawsuits and such.

i dont know the answers, but i do know that the american health caqre system has worked fine for me and my family, and has saved us from some pretty bad situations. sure, maybe it costs alot, it is worth alot. if nothing changes i will not cry.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

tyranny of the majority

8. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

So it is tyrannical for the majority of people who have jobs, pay taxes, and have healthcare insurance to be happy with what they have? Fascinating

1 person likes this.
  9. martin

martin Banned Forever

not sure what you mean. you are sniping and i have no idea where you stand, what you mean, or how you are being critical of my opinion. i have said what i favor (revamping the food system, tort reform and then a re-assessment) and if you oppose it you should explain why.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well stated. Too many people don't understand this. The entitlement mentality wants something for nothing.

Right now a lot of people have no income and no insurance. Under Obama's plan they'll have the insurance but they still won't have any income. So who pays? One guess.