O says losing helps recruiting

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Dec 8, 2020.

1. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2020/12/06/lsu-football-ed-orgeron-tigers-statement-loss-alabama/

What is LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron thinking?

"Coach O was asked whether or not the loss to Bama would help recruiting Orgeron stated that he thought the loss would help recruiting.

“I think it helps recruiting,” said Orgeron (via 247Sports). “Recruiting has been fine. Our guys stuck with us and commitments stuck with us.”

Coach O is right that recruiting is fine.

But it could be better.

LSU recently lost a commitment from four-star defensive end, Naquan Brown. And it’s starting to look like the Tigers aren’t going to land five-star defensive end Korey Foreman.

Great recruits — the type of players that LSU is targeting — don’t need a promise of playing time. They want to go to teams that are winning. The Tigers may have won it all last year, but the message from rival schools is that LSU was a one-year wonder.

So no, I don’t know think losing to Alabama will help the Tigers in recruiting. I think it’ll help the Tide (and others) in recruiting.

Coach O missed the mark big time on this one."

unclenick and msully like this.
  2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I know the dude is a hot mess right now, more like fly paper actually, but WTF was he supposed to say? Cruitin is fucked and the way we are playing now, I wouldn't wanna come here either?

C'mon man, just another leaf from the O tree.

fanatic, Don Castavez, msully and 2 others like this.
  3. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

He’s actually doing incredibly well in recruiting right now which is remarkable. Needs more OL, but otherwise is killing it on the trail.

Also my interpretation of what he said is not that losing help recruiting, but that the state of the program, including the ability to play early is helping recruiting, but I don’t know what’s in O’s head.

4. msully

msully Founding Member

I heard the same thing last year .you think a year will be a change ? We will be 4 or 5 in the SEC west next season

TigerTap likes this.
  5. USAFRet66.86

USAFRet66.86 COTiger is cool

How far away we from the actual signing period?

6. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

About a week from the early signing period. Two more months for the final signing period.

Brian likes this.
  7. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Players aren’t the problem. Coaching is the problem this year.

kcal likes this.
  8. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

If I’m a highly touted prospect I tell Baby Huey tonight- ‘Promise me you’re changing coordinators or don’t bother to call me anymore’

9. Brian

Brian Founding Member

This offensive and defensive lines talent level is pretty terrible and the talent that is there is exceedingly young. It's not just coaching imo. Much of it is though.

tzanghi likes this.
  10. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

There are definitely disparities there, but I don’t think it’s as bad as CBS and co make it out to be. I saw an analysis comparing the last 4 years of Bama and LSU OL recruiting and the average ratings for recruits were 4 and 3.45 Stars respectively. The main difference seemed to be retention of players. The talent disparity is there for sure, but I don’t think it’s as big as people make it out to be. Although to your point, our 4 and 5 stars are redshirt freshman, so maybe the upperclassmen average like a 3-3.25. But when I see guys like Drinkowitz And Kendall Briles having no problem scoring with their lines, I have trouble understanding why our line is giving us so many problems. And I may be alone in this, but I thought they blocked well in the first half against Bama, which shows me that they are capable of holding up against good D Linemen.

But your point also makes me wonder why we couldn’t find more playing time for Ika. Could’ve really used him last Saturday as a bigger body to get a push.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    LSU_4_LIFE likes this.