Politics NRA More Popular than Obama, Clinton

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Oct 22, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If it prevents one Sandy Hook, I'm good with it.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Are you convinced it will?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It won't

4. red55

I am convinced it can. I do not understand the NRA narrative that says if a gun safety measure can't eliminate all mass killings, that it means we should do nothing at all to try to reduce them.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

But that's basically the same argument I made in another thread, when I said eliminating gun-free zones will prevent mass shootings. You objected. But they are both basically the same premise....neither is a perfect solution, but both follow a line of thought that is almost impossible to quantify. We have no way of knowing how many mass shootings more open carrying prevents. We have no way of knowing how many mass shootings more stringent permitting prevents. The real difference is, do you want to attack the problem by limiting the law-abiding, or by empowering them? Because ultimately, the only people affected by a new law are those who willingly submit to it.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So how is that working out with vehicle registration. Has registration stopped a single drunk from getting behind the wheel?

Registration will create another bureaucracy. Just what we need. More government intrusion into our lives. And of course if gun were required to be registered there would be registration fees. Probably at least $100 per gun and like auto registration would have to be renewed at least semi-annually if not annually. In some states and municipalities the fees would be much higher. Anti-gunners would see this as a way of keeping guns out of the hands of all but the well-heeled. I could see a city like San Francisco imposing fees of higher than $1000 per gun.

One thing for sure. It would keep guns out of the hands of people like the 80 year old granny on Social Security whose late husband bought her a .38 special and taught her to shoot because she was afraid to be alone while he was working the night shift. But I don't expect you and your cohorts to shed a tear when she is raped and murdered in her own home because she is a law abiding citizen who has been legislated into defenselessness. You will been drinking the kool-aid and patting each other on the back making each other feel good.

7. red55

You are conflating several issues here I think. Mass killings are not the only campus gun problem. There are almost no instances of armed people being in place to stop a mass killing, but there are weekly incidents of fistfights turning into gun fights, armed robberies, accidental discharges, suicides, and yahoos firing guns into the air. There are good reasons to keep gun off campuses. Not the least is that it gives police a tool to apprehend suspects up to no good on campus. If they have a gun, they can be arrested and charged.

8. red55

I answered this false analogy pages ago. Car registration isn't intended to prevent drunks from driving. It is to make car owners accountable for their vehicles and legally responsible for seeing that the authorities can find, track, and determine the ownership of a car that is involved in a crime.

You can't out up with a minor inconvenience to help prevent mass killings?

I thought Republicans favored local governments making decisions? Only when they like the decision, apparently. And you made that up about San Francisco.

How? All she would have to do is get the gun registered when she bought it. It's automatic whenever you buy or sell a car. It would work the same way with guns.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I speculated on a plausible scenario based upon the preponderance of idiotic legislation in the city, .ie, sanctuary city

[/QUOTE]How? All she would have to do is get the gun registered when she bought it. It's automatic whenever you buy or sell a car. It would work the same way with guns.[/QUOTE]

You didn't understand my example. She didn't buy the gun. It was a gift from her late husband before the hypothetical registration laws And like with vehicle registration, there would be renewals of gun registration required periodically because that way a fee could be imposed each renewal period.

10. red55

I know.

I still don't see how registration would hurt her. After probate, the house, the car and the guns would all become her possessions. She would only need to transfer registration of the gun, just like the car and the boat.