News Now They Have Gone Too Far

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You missed the sarcasm of my "God Points" statement. Maybe it doesn't come across via the written word like it does verbally. But you can't compare Brantly with the military or the police. In the military you go where they send you. If you are a cop its your job. Maybe sometimes a dangerous job but its still what you do for a living. I just don't see the point of going to Africa to treat an incurable disease where most of your patients are going to die and you can't save them when he could actually do some good right here in his own country. Its not like he was doing research to find a cure for ebola.

I don't know if Brantlys family to fend for themselves or if he left them well provided for. Maybe his practice before going to Africa was prescribing Valiums to neurotic rich women for all I know.

Bill Gates has given $Billions to help people in Africa. If it was me I would use the money to help Americans first but its his money and he has the right to spend it on anything he wants. Maybe his ultimate goal is that by the time Windows 15 is released every African family will be able to afford a copy

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Some people have a lot of compassion. Clearly, others don't have a bit of it. They will never understand why people don't abandon lepers and people with contagious diseases to their fates.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Except we don't currently have a forced draft. People sign up knowing they could be deployed and blown up by an IED. And nobody forces someone to be a po-po. Some folks have a calling....it's not up to me to question it.

No he wasn't going to find a cure. He was providing care, compassion, and comfort to suffering human beings. Do those folks need any of that any less than an American? Do we not have hundreds of thousands of doctors here? Africa doesn't have so many.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/07/cdc-issues-highest-level-alert-amid-ebola-outbreak/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has raised their emergency response to the Ebola outbreak to level 1.

This is the highest level of emergency response at the CDC and, according to an agency spokesperson, it has been activated because of the surge of personnel being sent into the affected countries. The CDC’s emergency operations center is now assisting the National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases in Atlanta, which specializes in the study and research of Ebola.

As of Wednesday, there are 240 CDC staff members working on the Ebola response, with 30 in the affected regions and more en route.

According to the CDC, level 1 is “all hands on deck.” The CDC has only been to level 1 three times in the history of the emergency operations center, which opened in 2003. Previously, it was activated for Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

filoviruses are genetically very stable.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

if you dont want to catch ebov, dont touch infected people's body fluids. it is only minimally contagious. stop worrying.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

syphillus is bacterial (treponema pallidum pallidum) a spirochete, not a virus.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stay away from the salad bar. You might accidentally touch the sneeze guard. This should be especially concerning to @LaSalleAve as a vegetarian. Or a bit of ebola infected spittle could be on a joint or pipe being passed around. :eek:

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

you dont know what youre talking about.

it hasnt mutated. even if it comes (when it comes) to the US it wont stay. we dont tend to eat non-human primates.

worst case scenario is that it gets in our bats (not sure if we have a good idea if our bats will support ebov growth). but then it will be like rabies.

btw, everyone does realize that rabies is 100% fatal w/o treatment, right?

the big difference is that there is not vax, but so little research has been done on ebov because it isnt worth the $$$. if it were endemic here there's a good chance we'd develop a vax----then its like rabies, but not as contagious.

red55 likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

YOU have no sense of humor