Now that it’s been a minute...2018 LSU Tigers early look

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 15, 2018.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Let’s take a look at what we have coming back and what we have lost.

QB- I’m not quite sure we upgrade next season, maybe we will have by mid season we shall see but you can’t replace the leadership and tenacity Danny Etling gave at least not right away. Miles Brennan, Lowell Narcisse, it’s on you boys.

RB - huge downgrade, but let’s hope we can get production from Helaire and Chris Curry, maybe Nick Brosette can finally shine, but that’s not likely considering our coach doesn’t even know his name. Guice and Williams are irreplaceable with what’s coming in and what’s already here.

OL - I think it’s a downgrade due to losing Clapp. Losing your center is huge. Charles and Ingram improved week to week, still have Campbell, Deculus, Brumfield, Magee, and I have no idea who will play center the only other one I see is Lloyd Cushenberry.

WR - lose Chark, and Gage, Anderson, Davis, Sullivan all return and some good ones coming in, this may be a wash and eventually an upgrade.

TE - we get back Moreau, still have Washington and Pettigrew don’t think it matters it’s clear Washington’s skills have been completely squandered like DeSean Smith’s were. This is probably a wash.

FB - don’t really care who we have left or coming up we lose Moore and that’s huge, this will be a downgrade.

DL - please lord let Shelvin get his shit right because if he does, he and Lawerence will be monsters. We need to add depth and a lot because Gilmore, Herron, LaCouture all gone. Right now this looks like a wash unless LSU can address that depth, if so, it’s an upgrade and a needed one. Fehoko should be good to go too.

LB - I mean, you lose Key but you never really had him last season, Chiasson should be fine and Devin the Dude is back, and he’s pissed off. Tyler Taylor and Divinity have both played some, just having White I think makes this at least a wash, maybe an upgrade depending on what we have coming in as freshmen. Also lose Corey Thompson who really had a good year.

CB - lose Donte and KT2, you have Greedy back and that’s pretty awesome, Kary Vincent and Kristian Fulton are the other 2 db’s that could play on the roster, hopefully that’s a freshman moving into that spot from Florida who has NFL pedigree. This may be a downgrade at first, but eventually as the season progresses get much better and be an upgrade.

Safety - Delpit and can we stop the Jacoby Stevens bullshit and just put him at the other safety already? If so could be an upgrade. Don’t like John Battle. He is too worried about the highlight hit, he can’t fucking tackle.

Special Teams - I mean it can’t get any worse right?

I don’t know boys and girls, I think a really good coaching staff would see some issues here and would have a hard time winning the conference with this roster and the schedule LSU is going to face.

2. mctiger

mctiger closet claustrophic Staff Member

The biggest thing I think we'll have going for us in '18 is the potential for a huge improvement in the o-line. You can make up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere with great blocking.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 Boobies make everything A OK!!!

I think the lines will be upgraded simply from depth.

Qn is a wash. RB is the only clear ?? But tbh, we can do that by committee ala-2011.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Defensive maybe you lose 3 guys that played a lot of snaps. Still get Logan back too he played some this season, and I forgot Alexander, so if we can just get a few more D linemen that can sub out DL is probably an upgrade. OL is gonna depend on that center position. As far as qb, talent is an upgrade, leadership and moxie, we shall see.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

True dat but loosing Clapp is huge, not only for his blocking but his leadership. He would have been a great help to Brennan and Narcisse. Got more depth but Weathersby is gone too. Whoever plays they need to gel quickly in both run blocking and pass blocking. Untested new QB and RB's with very little experience. If they can open holes we should be OK at RB. No superstars like Fournette and Guice before them LSU's last real superback was Kevin Faulk in the 90's and the Tigers have still done well at the position.

Brennan has all the tools and can make all the throws. He needs developement. The question is will Ensminger be able to bring him along fast enough. The game needs to slow down for him starting before the Miami game.. As far as Narcisse goes I don't know anything about him other than his reputation but I'm hoping for the best. If he doesn't transfer which could be a major thorn in things if Brennan either gets injured or just doesn't grow into the role fast enough.

As far as the defense goes I'm really not too worried about the D as a whole or any position group. D Line anchored by Lawrence should be good. If Devin White were twins we would be Linebacker U as well as DBU.
    And we will still be DBU. Hoping Surtain signs and is as good as they say. With his pedigree he could be the defensive OBJ.

Special teams is still a big question mark. Whoever returns punts needs to have it drilled into his head to never, ever field a punt inside the 10 yard line. Of course the exception to that is when it works. Just remembering the Dreadlocks of Doom 93 yard return vs Moo. Transfer placekicker was kicker of the year in whatever division he played in. While kicking is kicking some people fall apart when they have to do it in front of 100,000 drunk screaming fans and millions watching at home.

6. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

I don’t think Narcisse will fit E’s offense but who knows, we starting from scratch. Supposedly E is developing his own offense and not using any of the past playbooks. If true what he says, it will be a set that any play can be run from, no tipping of your hand by formation. More of what O wants with the pro style. Baffles me why he keeps selling pro style but chases dual-threats! If our lines don’t improve and get depth it won’t matter.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think D will be an improvement; when it mattered this year it felt like we were too young and just trying to hold on. Aranda will have the D straight.

STs will be improved, I mean it can’t be worse and I think having an experienced guy hands on will help.

I think WRs will see a huge improvement from a coach who has a fucking clue, and I expect Ensminger will help Brennan along. Kid will make mistakes, but hope E can reach him. It’ll help to have receivers doing what they’re supposed to do more often. RB will be fine with a solid OL. CEH will impress I think.

I expect we’ll look much better; the test will be the best teams on the schedule and there will be a few. I expect a statement win vs Richt; they can’t match our talent.

QB will probably cost us a few; again. And that piece of the puzzle still falls on Miles, though continuity at OC could have helped Brennan along. Also meaningful snaps wouldn’t have hurt, which for some reason Eaux pussed out on (similar to Miles).

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe, maybe not. We have seen what a young QB can do with the right coaching. Hurt. Fromm and then Tua.

Brennan got a lot more meaningful snaps than any backup under Miles. No, nothing with the game on the line in the 4th quarter but at least Oeaux didn't only insert him into the game with 7 minutes to play in a blowout and then only hand the ball to the RB's.I don't know if Brennan''s skillset is anywhere near HurtFrommTua but I think Oeaux really wanted for him to take the job from Etling but he wasn't ready.

stevescookin likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

LSUpride123 likes this.
  10. Winston1

Winston1 Veteran Member

Supposedly Morton Andersen is going to train him.

Brian and Bengal B like this.