No U.S. Open Thread?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is anybody watching? This seems like the most lackluster Open ever. Right now my only interest is seeing whether the current "best player never to win a major" Ricky Fowler can do it tomorrow. He is 2 strokes off the lead.

I can't believe Phil Michelson skipped it to watch his daughter graduate from high school. At 47 he doesn't have many more opportunities to win the only major that has eluded him so far.

Give me a fucking break. We've all been to graduations. Is there anything more boring? With his money he could have paid the school to schedule it after the Open. Or just said fuck it and bought his daughter a really nice gradation present.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Justin Thomas’s 63,.. Breaks a U.S. Open Record
    [​IMG]

Many of the players at the top of leaderboard are in pursuit of their first major. Brian Harman leads at -12, followed by Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka and Tommy Fleetwood at -11.

U.S. Open, after 3rd Round

1 Brian Harman -12
    2 Brooks Koepka -11
    2 Justin Thomas -11
    2 Tommy Fleetwood -11
    5 Rickie Fowler -10
    6 Si-woo Kim -9
    7 Patrick Reed -8
    7 Russell Henley -8
    7 Charley Hoffman -8
    10 Brendan Steele -7
    10 Brandt Snedeker -7
    10 Xander Schauffele -7
    10 Bill Haas -7
    14 J.B. Holmes -6
    14 Hideki Matsuyama -6
    14 Bernd Wiesberger -6

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I was watching, kinda, yesterday and they made a comment about "...even if the top three players in the world are not here..."
    I don't follow close enough, though I like golf, and in fact, like watching it on TV, but who and why? Seems bizarre. Phil is not one of the top three is he. And I agree, graduations are BS. That is why they make GOPROs!

OBTW: If the USGA wants a Scotland golf course for the US Open, then go the fuck to Scotland. Seems the last several, or at least a high percentage of the last several have been "links" type...No trees, big swales (all designed for viewing). Seems gimmicky in a contrived sort of way.

Finally, did you see that guy (don't remember who it was) make the put that he started our perpendicular to the line toward the hole? THat was pretty cool!

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Harman hit his tee shot on #1 wide right. Should be an exciting Sunday afternoon.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Missed it. Was watching the grass grow.

KyleK likes this.
  6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

A guy putting his family before work and it's being criticized and scoffed at?

cul2969 and KyleK like this.
  7. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I get that, but is watching her take a walk on stage worth the money he's passing up? Like Bengal said, he can make it up to her,.. use part of the money to buy her a new car, or a fricken house for that matter.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

His daughter was graduating from high school. Not undergoing surgery. Not on trial for a felony. Not getting married. My dad tried to come to all my games from grade school through high school whether it was football, baseball or whatever but when he had to work he went to work.

You ever been to any kind of graduation? Your grad is one of from dozens to hundreds all dressed alike and all equally bored as they listen to full speeches and then walk on stage and get handed a piece of paper. Sheesh! Just email me the kids diploma and I'll print copies for everybody who wants one.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Phil has never won the open and knew he wasn't going to win this one. He certainly doesn't need money and who knows, maybe they had a big swingers party planned for after the ceremony. I have no issue with him missing the event.

KyleK likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Odds were stacked against him at his age but didn't Raymond Floyd win the Open at 49? Jack Nicklaus was 46 when he won his last Masters.
    I would have skipped it too for a good family reason but never for something as mundane as a graduation. His daughters accomplishments was in her entire matriculation through the educational process, not in being one of the clones in some sweaty nigh school gym. He could have just done something really nice for her like letting her have a party for her friends and class with her favorite bands.