NIL question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Apr 19, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

OK, I'm looking for some clarity in regards to NIL rules. With NIL going bonkers, does a player have to be under scholarship to receive NIL money? It would seem that just any ordinary college student could go get a deal to profit off their name, image and likeness, but that would also open up a huge can of worms. If that is the case, what would stop college coaches from setting up lucrative NIL deals with companies to land top recruits, which would also cover tuition/expenses but would not be put in print, and then use the regular allotment of scholarships to land more players. The players receiving NIL money would not count against the scholarship allotment and would just enroll as a normal student. What am I missing? That scenario just seems to easy for coaches to circumvent the rules, which they are very good at, and really land a ton of elite level players.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

For one thing, if a typical athletic scholarship cost a school $25,000 per year, you have to find companies that are willing to put out even more than that, because the NIL would have to cover the cost of the scholarship and still put something substantial in the athlete's pocket.

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Basically, there are no rules. BYU already did something similar in a deal with Built Bar.

4. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I get your point because $25,000 is a lot of money for sure, but I read an article that said Arch Manning could have $10 million dollars in NIL deals before he steps a foot on a college campus. Why would a player like him need a scholarship? Last year you had Quinn Ewers, who signed with Ohio State but is now at Texas, and he had well over a million dollars in NIL deals before he got to college. It just seems like an easy way for coaches to stack their signing class and it may be perfectly legal.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

But he's going to be a huge exception to the rule. To be honest, I have no idea what a typical NIL deal is worth, but I'd be willing to bet most are not worth more than a year's scholarship benefits.

BornOnTheBayou likes this.
  6. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

That's a good point. I know we all hear about the big money NIL deals, but I would love to know what the average NIL is worth. Do colleges have any kind of responsibility to keep up with NIL or is it just a separate, independent thing that is not affiliated with the schools?

mctiger likes this.