New Orleans Saints Offseason and Draft Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

IMO this offseason will be real important for the Saints if they want to stay a serious contender.They are 39.2million under the cap so they have the money to sign key free agents. Some of the Top Free Agents they should go after: CB Asante Samuel is a must and they could also pick up home town CB Randall Gay. LB Lance Briggs would be a nice pick up also. Albert Haynesworth would be a great DL pick up but i think he was franchised.
    In the Draft mostly everyone believes they will pick up a CB in the First Round and could be greatly dependent on this weekend's NFL Combine. Top choices could be: 6'2 Aqib Talib(Kansas), 6'2 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie(Tenn State) both have great size and 6'0 Michael Jenkins (South Florida). Even heard S Kenny Philips from Miami is a choice. 2nd Round options include: LB Ali Highsmith (LSU) a slim chance he could drop to us. DT Pat Sims or DE Quentin Groves(Auburn) but mostly likely another Defensive Pick since the defense hasnt been upgraded in years.My outside pick would be TE Fred Davis who would be a great pick up . Also been hearing that QB Andre Woodson (Kentucky) may drop to 2nd Round wondering if he would be a gamble here for the Saints since he would have time to develop and learn the offense from Brees and Sean Payton.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

They wont be able to afford Samuel and Haynesworth was franchised.

It is a weak year for FA. There are some good, big, physical DB's in the draft. I wouldnt be surprised to see them go DT though.

3. pjnchamps

I agree this year's FA is real weak

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

They can't afford not to go after him, with gusto. I'm following behind the Saints' bandwagon right now and a strong effort to sign this guy would show me they are serious. Another disappointment like last year and its back to playing golf on Sunday afternoons.

5. pjnchamps

I hear ya. Saints have a chance to make a run this year but it all depends on the offseason and draft. If the Saints would spend the money sign Asante Samuel and Randall Gay as Free Agents then with their first pick pick up one of the top CBs or Safety Kenny Philips from Miami(Sorry Bullocks is garbage) that will help their Secondary out. Also ppl forget that their best CB Mike Mckenzie did tear his knee late in the season.

6. pjnchamps

DE Quentin Groves(Auburn) ran a 4.5 in the 40 yard dash. Top DL performer in the 40,Broad Jump, and 20-yard shuttle.

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

If he is still married/dating the same girl then they will have some freakish kids. She is a world-class sprinter.

Groves was injured for a lot of the season (which has hurt his hype) but I expect him to have a great pro career.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I am hoping for LB Keith Rivers to still be available at the 10 spot.

I wonder what vball thinks of Rivers' chances to excel in the NFL. Hopefully she can shime in on this thread.

1 person likes this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I will say the same thing about the two kids Marion Jones has had, literally freakish. :eek: Her first with Tim Montgomery is the product of double roid input and her second with another sprinter could be a very quick little kid!

1 person likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Well of course I think he'll be great! :wave: Seriously, though he is a very solid LB. He's played all spots but started 3 years at the Will position but did see some time as a drop back Safety. He's fast, especially with closing speed and on the downhill. The thing that I've always liked about him is he hits a guy in small space but REALLY delivers a blow and he reads offenses pretty well. He's probably right at 6'2" and has a very muscular frame.

His performance at the Senior Bowl is what you can expect from him. Played his HS ball in Florida. It may seem silly to ya'll but #55 is considered a special number and is only bestowed on a player by PC. Keith is that good IMO.