New Orleans begins tearing down Confederate monuments

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

And if there's no critical mass of people who take offense to it then there's no problem.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bullshit! Easy to lie about it now. If you visited New Orleans much as a youth there are probably some old photos around with you and at least one of the monuments. Just because you were against slavery and discrimination doesn't mean you ever had the original thought that it was wrong to erect and maintain a statue to a person. Lee wasn't Hitler. Jackson wasn't Stalin.

And I did answer your dumb question. You are just too stupid to understand it.

3. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Why would I lie about something like that? When I or anybody else became opposed to the statues is irrelevant to the argument.

And, no, you didn't answer my question. A yes or no with a justification would have done the trick... your babble didn't.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Again people need to grow the fuck up.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Every city I have ever been in that had a street named after Martin Luther King the street was in a bad part of town. For those sheep who have nothing better to do than rant about statues here is a new cause you can take up. In the interest of political correctness and diversity a street in an upscale neighborhood should be renamed after King. Dumb, yes, but it makes as much sense as tearing down historical monuments

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Tearing down statutes is such a mindless, "concrete thinking" kind of action. Thinking people, exercising critical thinking, would understand, easily, that the statutes are part of New Orleans history. At the time the statute was erected, Lee, for instance, was a true hero to the population.

To tear down a stone symbol of this changes nothing about the feelings that were present. It is quite childish to think otherwise.

If, after the statutes are removed, AND significant, positive, quantifiable changes don't occur, then the act will be validated as totally feckless. I'll take the under.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'll go all in on the under. When all is said and done not one single child will get a better education and not one single thug will give up on a life of crime. Not one pothole will be fixed because of it and taxes won't be a nickle lower.

8. LaSalleAve

I and many others find that trying to gloss over the history of our region is offensive. When does the statue go back up?

Winston1 likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is nobody on Earth whose statue wouldn't offend somebody.

10. LaSalleAve

What about the little girl in New York? Nevermind the guy that made the bull statue doesn't want her there, so that's offensive to him. You may have a point.