New Orleans #1 in murders--Baton Rouge #7

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Cajun Sensation, Jun 2, 2009.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I lived two doors down the street from the scumbags who killed that boy . . . And I was driving a new Bronco II as well. They saw me pass every day. But I was a long-haired, biker-looking hippie and just didn't look like a victim to them.

Those guys were NOT tough guys, just greaser thugs. They picked a young 17-year-old, new in town with not a lot of city street sense yet. Pineville is a nice town to be from--no real crime, no racial animosity, Barney Fife cops . . . the kid didn't have a chance against three city hoods looking for meth money.

The ringleader tried to escape from Angola a few years ago and now he is doing something like 250 years. Won't ever see him again.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

no problem bro.

your point that baton rouge has bad areas and good areas is amazing. so does compton.

every town has areas that are safe. baton rouge has bad areas that are terrible, worse than most other places. new orleans has areas worse than anything you will find in pretty much any other american city.

it isnt the crazy media concocting nonsense. baton rouge and new orleans genuinely have lots more crime than new york, like i said earlier.

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

:thumb:
    its the old agree to disagree.
    Compton has bad areas and really bad areas.

I don't disagree that the bad part of BR is pretty bad. But the size of the bad part, compared to the size of the parish is pretty small. There is a concentrated area that most of the city would never come into contact with.

To argue that the bad parts of NOLA are much worse than every other American city is a farce. There is drug and gang violence in every major metropolitan area.

The misconception is in the bias to smaller cities. The same size pocket in Houston or New York is significantly smaller when compared to the whole population, and thus, the lower murder rate per capita. If you normalize the size of the afflicted areas in BR and NOLA up to NY, you would see an increase in the murder rate. Therein lies the bias in the data.

Glad you acknolwedged that the media is crazy.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

sorry but i would stop at a store on plank road before i ever stopped anywhere in co op city, bed sti, or jamaica queens. when i traveled to new york in 98, i got lost in harlem (which i heard is actually quite different now) but there were signs on the park fences that said, "please help keep crack off our streets" i have never seen any kind of sign in louisiana like that, how bad is your crack problem when you have to put up a sign for it?

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am reasonably sure the only reason anyone goes north of Florida Blvd is to be murdered or buy drugs.

Gardere, and the Bottom are problem areas, but they are not as bad as the areas NOFB.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

in 1998 new york was like a different city. crime is incredibly low in new york, and has been going down for around 15 years. (also it is bed-stuy, and i would much rather hang out in jamaica queens than plank road. in fact i have jury duty coming up soon in jamaica and i am looking forward to it. )

not like in new orleans.

i dunno what you mean. the stats are for crime per x amount of people.

if you point is that if you are white and stay in the suburbs, then crime is low, then fine. but that is true everywhere. the difference is that the places that you should not go to in baton rouge are worse than comparable areas elsewhere, the numbers prove that.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Very true. In fact, there is very little, if any, gang violence in NOLA. That's how bad it is. People tried to set up gangs in NOLA, and were killed for it. I am not making this up. The crips and bloods tried to establish themselves, and were dead before they could say 'crackrock.' The Gotti Boys were the only 'gang' in NOLA, and they weren't even a real gang...just a bunch of guys living all over the 3rd Ward. But they have been dissolved thanks to the demolition of the Magnolia and Calliope projects. But even when they were around, there was no getting 'jumped in,' colors, structure, or any other hallmarks of real gangs. Gangs would never work in NOLA. Everyone is too 'out for themselves.'

As far as BTR is concerned, yeah the bad areas of town are pretty well-defined for the most part, but they are anything but small. Pretty much the entire area from north of Government St. to Baker/Scotlandville is serious ghetto. That's a huge chunk of the city. But the city is also becoming more like NOLA in that the bad areas are beginning to spread to the rest of it. For example, the quadrant defined by Coursey, Sherwood, I-12, and Jones Creek has had an alarming spike in crime statistics over the past 2 years. Then there's the Blvd de Province area, Orleans Place, and of course, Gardere...all of which are peppered throughout otherwise decent areas.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

My brother lives in Bed Stuy right now and its not as bad as New Orleans. Right now N.O is like the savage world. Id rather walk in Marcy Projects, than to walk in the inner city of New Orleans. I wouldnt be scared in either situation, but my chances of getting shot is higher in New Orleans.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

did you ever see that episode of gangland on the history channel about the gotti boys in new orleans? in an earlier post i mentioned the 60 day law, these gang bangers and dealers know that if they kill competition or rival gang members, and anyone else in between, they will only go to jail for 60 days. I know people who spent more time in jail over a DWI.

Apologies on the Bed Stuy spelling. What tripped me out about New York when i went there in 98 was Co Op City. I flew into Boston and drove down to NYC, seems like there was a toll every 10 minutes. I remember listening to Funkmaster Flex's radio show, and the girl i was with pointed out a bunch of big buildings in the distance. I was like man, nice buildings, and she said, no thats the ghetto, i remember being shocked that there were 10 story ghetto buildings, because the ghetto in the south is mainly shotgun houses. My little brother lives in Brooklyn now, and he says that Harlem and alot of areas have cleaned up alot, but there are still places that you just do not go.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are ares in any town where you just don't go. The worst I've been in is Anacostia in DC. I missed my exit on the freeway and took the next exit to try to work my way back. Bad mistake.