New Gun Control Proposal

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tiger in NC, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I've seen the newly proposed legislation mentioned in several other threads but thus far we've not devoted an entire thread to this discussion. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of the proposed legislation and also what you would do to curb the rise of gun violence. For those who missed it in it's entirety, here it is:

Published: January 16, 2013

What’s in Obama’s Gun Control Proposal

The initiative to reduce gun violence announced by President Obama on Wednesday includes both legislative proposals that would need to be acted on by Congress and executive actions he can do on his own. Many of the executive actions involve the president directing agencies to do a better job of sharing information.
    Proposed Congressional Actions

• Requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales, including those by private sellers that currently are exempt.
    • Reinstating and strengthening the ban on assault weapons that was in place from 1994 to 2004.
    • Limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
    • Banning the possession of armor-piercing bullets by anyone other than members of the military and law enforcement.
    • Increasing criminal penalties for "straw purchasers," people who pass the required background check to buy a gun on behalf of someone else.
    • Acting on a $4 billion administration proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the street.
    • Confirming President Obama's nominee for director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
    • Eliminating a restriction that requires the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to allow the importation of weapons that are more than 50 years old.
    • Financing programs to train more police officers, first responders and school officials on how to respond to active armed attacks.
    • Provide additional $20 million to help expand the a system that tracks violent deaths across the nation from 18 states to 50 states.
    • Providing $30 million in grants to states to help schools develop emergency response plans.
    • Providing financing to expand mental health programs for young people.
    Executive actions

• Issuing a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    • Addressing unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    • Improving incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    • Directing the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    • Proposing a rule making to give law enforcement authorities the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    • Publishing a letter from the A.T.F. to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    • Starting a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    • Reviewing safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    • Issuing a presidential memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    • Releasing a report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and making it widely available to law enforcement authorities.
    • Nominating an A.T.F. director.
    • Providing law enforcement authorities, first responders and school officials with proper training for armed attacks situations.
    • Maximizing enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    • Issuing a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to research gun violence.
    • Directing the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenging the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
    • Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
    • Releasing a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    • Providing incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    • Developing model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    • Releasing a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    • Finalizing regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within insurance exchanges.
    • Committing to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    • Starting a national dialogue on mental health led by Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, and Arne Duncan, the secretary of education.

A lot of what the President has recommended is good common sense in my opinion but it falls short in others. The President has obviously targeted assault weopens, high capacity magazines and armor piercing rounds....all of which I have no problems with. I also support his initiative to provide more police officers and stronger mental health support.

This said, this plan falls short in a few areas: it does very little to address violence in movies or video games. Quentin Tarrantino gets glorified and makes millions by making movies with tons of gratuitous violence, often for no other reason than to have some violence. That element of our society bears some responsibility too. If we are going to have a comprehensive gun control plan that is truly meant to protect our children then I don't know how we can avoid this. Video games get more and more violent every day and there is nothing in this proposal to further address these issues.

The media also has a role to play by not giving these mass shooters the glory of a published name. While they have a job to report the news, it isn't necessary to play it over and over and over and over again. This only sparks interest for the next nut and does little to curb the violence.

While the mental health system is mentioned, it sounds very vague and that troubles me because mental health is really at the heart of the matter. These mass shootings are all being perpetrated by white men in their early twenties. This is no coincidence. While these people are in high school and they are seen almost daily by teachers, principals, etc. there is a chance to talk to them and help them seek help. The problem arises when they leave school.....especially given that the majority of major mental health problems do not arise until the early twenties. If that person graduates high school or worse, drops out, and does not work or go to college, the chances are that no one will catch it when they start exhibiting the behaviors commonly associated with mental health troubles onset. I really feel like any person between the ages of 18-25 should be required to have a mental health exam before they can purchase a gun.

I am sure I am leaving out other things. While, in some ways, I think this is a step in the right direction, it leaves a lot to be desired. As much as the gun lobby has power over congress and plays politics, I am afraid that the President catered to his base too much with this legislation and didn't take on the movie and video game industry. Further, if he and Biden had done better research there would have been more consideration given to mental health.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

"Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes"

WTF?

10 round mags? Bullshit.

There is so much wrong with all of this it would take me a whole day to point it out. In the end it is about giving up or in this case "having it taken from you" freedoms that should be left alone. (You meaning everyone not the op specifically)

Hard to expect anyone to understand that place so little value on them in the first place though so all I can do is hope.

3. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Don't quote me on this because I am still researching what exactly all of these mean, or are meant to address, but regarding doctors asking patients about guns, I believe it is referring more specifically to Psychiatrists although any medical doctor who believed that their patient might be a threat to themselves or someone else could also ask.

The 10 round magazine thing I support. I see no reason you would need more. I am a life long hunter and veteran of the military so I am definitely pro-gun but I cannot think of any reason a private citizen would need a larger magazine capacity.

Which freedoms do you feel like are being taken away?

4. shane0911

Perfect example. I'm also a retired military man and although I don't hunt any more (which I should point out is irrelevant to the conversation) there should be no mention EVER of anyone being able to say how many rounds one "needs" or "doesn't need" not any of their business. It is control. Control and power that no government should ever have.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I thought the 10 round thing was crazy in itself, but I am torn. The rest is ok the assault weapons ban will never make it, but Im really not sure how I feel about it. I start thinking about those shooting and then I start thinking about my own guns.

Its really short on mental health and background checks, that should really be the focus.
    closing loopholes at gun shows, etc

this is a perfect example
    this dude should not have these guns and its not about control here either.
    http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_new...ite-supremacist-a-felon-obtained-arsenal?lite

6. LSUMASTERMIND

If you are saying its ok for someone to have 40,000 rounds with this criminal history, then we have a problem .
    or any common street thug.

7. shane0911

As for the Dr's, yeah like that is going to work anyway. If I go in because my back hurts I don't need this fucker asking me whats in my gun closet, I need him to fire up the damn MRI machine and find out why my effing back hurts.

I'm leary of any government digging into anyones personal life, if dumborue wants to fuck chickens in his spare time then by God that is between him and the chicken and I'm sure God will deal with him when he gets the chance. There is too much government intervention as it is and I see this only getting worse and by the looks of if there is no foreseeable end to where it is going.

I understand the "premise" is to "prevent" crime but what some of you fail to realize is that it just won't work. I don't have a stat, I don't have a link but I have a hunch and I'd bet money on it that the overwhelming majority of gun violence is not committed by people that are regestered, law abiding gun owners. This leaves the law abiding, regestered gun owners as the only ones truly being punished by all this invasive bullshit.

Until you can show me that the bloods,crips, drug dealers, pimps, et al are taking their mandatory safety classes and going through the background checks I'd say my argument stands.

8. shane0911

Lol, no, this dude should not have had ammo or the arsenal that he had. These dicks are the problem and once again, a criminal. The investigation should look for who provided him with them and I'm sure it will.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

I think I need more than a 10 round clip, that part is bullshit.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree this bill is over reaction to a tragedy. It could be simplified and cut way back.

shane0911 likes this.