New CFB rules

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by shane0911, Mar 2, 2022.

1. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

#flagfoosball

APPTiger likes this.
  2. furduknfish

Or just embrace sudden death OT similar to NFL. First to score (nonkick) wins. Eliminates the 7 OT BS...

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Or maybe they are doing this to make it easier to adopt the CFP. Main point is snaps are reduced but money isn’t. CFP = lots of money, and more snaps for a select number of teams (or the same number of snaps as previous because regular season snaps have been reduced).

4. lsu-i-like

No. Each team needs at least 1 chance to score. Maybe sudden death after that.

TCUTiger likes this.
  5. furduknfish

Naw baw, fk that. They had their chance in regulation. Leave it to the coin toss and/or a stout D. All the chance needed.

6. lsu-i-like

If there are two teams with 0 offense, both teams get the ball.

If there are two teams with 0 defense, 1 team gets the ball and the game is decided by a coin toss. I think the fans want to see each team have a shot.

I haven’t thought this through, but I feel like I’m in favor of having a winner/loser instead of a draw.

What about 2 1-down extra point conversions each, one from 35 and one from 10. Team has two shots at up to 4 points, then team 2 just needs to match or exceed team 1. Then sudden death from the opposing 35.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

@APPTiger
    I'm glad people are catching "exposure." But it's easily flipped the other way.

This will bolster expansion talks because the players aren't getting any more "exposure" than they are today. The coordinator of the Big12 said it was their goal to shave off right at nine minutes a game: that will take plays off the books. If you can shave eight plays per game in the regular season players won't have more exposure with additional games.

(Remember, they tried to cut down on offensive plays several years ago and those rule changes were rescinded a year later.)

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

And yet at the FCS level, they can play an 11-game schedule, followed by a 24-team, 5-round playoff. Guess its ok to expose those guys.

furduknfish, lsu-i-like and shane0911 like this.
  9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

My solution borrows from soccer, and the one flaw is that it doesn't truly guarantee that both teams will get a possession. Put 10 minutes on the clock and play the full 10 minutes (I find it hard to believe that one team will put together a 10 minute possession). Leader at the end wins, regardless of how scoring was achieved. If no leader at the end (and if the powers that be insist on a "no ties" policy) then go true sudden death from there. I would do this in the NFL as well.

furduknfish likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I like it and no timeouts! Make it really interesting

mctiger likes this.