New Arizona Immigration Enforcement Laws

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by OkieTigerTK, Apr 23, 2010.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

cultural costs? what does that mean?

every immigrant group in history is the same story, they come over, keep some of their identity with the old country then assimilate. irish, italian, mexican, whoever. always. the first generation born in the US speaks english perfectly and from there they become as american as you.

2. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

It means the unassimilated, unchecked illegal alien population in the country is not only a huge drain on the economy, it's a weakening of the American ethos. If you can undercut American wages, never have to really learn English, force our hospitals and schools and court systems to waste money and time trying to be bilingual (when English is the language of our nation - and international commerce, by the way) - it has a culture cost.

America is what it is because of it's culture of rugged individualism synthesized into nationalism. A country infested with cheap labor that refuse to become part of the nation loses its culture.

Until now. You have no idea what you're talking about. I suspect it's because you don't live or travel where these folks live and work. There's no assimilation going on.

Again - I'm all for having a huge cohort of Hispanic Americans. That is not what is going on here. This is a huge cohort of Mexicans living illegally in America.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

maybe your american ethos, but not mine. and i dont care about yours. i like t ospeak spanish, and i like people who are not from america.

thats a financial issue, not a cultural one.

again, your ethnocentrism is not relevant.

for the hundredth time, english is what most people here tend to speak, it is not the official language. with all your ciltural whining you sound like an insecure frenchman or quebecois.

i was reading a book yesterday about the english language. it had a chapter on this particular topic. 95% of second generation immigrants speak english, and more than half of the third generation immigrants dont speak the original mother tongue, only english. it has always been this way and always will.

queens new york is the most internationally culturally diverse place on earth. that is not an exaggeration. your statement couldnt possibly be more wrong. nobody, and i mean nobody, knows immigrants like i do.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Up until World War I there were more people speaking dutch in St. Louis than english. I'm not worried about the languages immigrants speak. They will all end up speaking English.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

also you should be aware that culture evolves. when new york was primarily dutch and called new amsterdam, and loads of englishmen showed up, would you have complained that the place wasnt dutch enough anymore and every idiot on the street liked drinking tea and speaking like the idiot king of england? are you are you angry when people in lafayette speak english and cajun french is forgotten? it happens, culture is not a static thing that you need to worry about or be scared of change.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Different world. You should spend some time in Texas' Rio Grande Valley or in Arizona, south of Tucson. They are overrun by illegal mexicans who are gorging on the benefits and overwhelming the local population with sheer numbers...like locusts.

7. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

he doesn't understand. some peoples minds don't work right.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Apparently, Queens really is the center of the country and representative of real life. Who knew?

martin - last volley - I think you're proabably a smart guy. You should travel west a bit. Queens is not a microcosm. It's an anacronism. The Ellis Island era of immigration is dead. It has been for decades.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

you accused me of not being familiar with immigrants, or living near them. so i reminded you that i live near more immigrants than you or anyone else you know.

incorrect. again, immigration is the same as it always has been. immigrants come, they keep some connection to the old country, and that falls apart almost entirely within two generations.

and if even if the cultural ties remain, so what? do we hate st patricks day and the idiots irish toting around irish flags? so why care if mexicans dont assimilate and remain culturally mexican? so what?

again, racism is awesome and i love it too, but in this case it hurts everyone. we need immigrants.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

cut the benefits if you want to solve the problem.