New Arizona Immigration Enforcement Laws

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by OkieTigerTK, Apr 23, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The alternative is that all aliens have to do to stay here is get here. Then laws designed to protect Americans are exploited by foreign Nationals to break our own immigration laws.

So, you just pull out your Passport Card and you're done and those people can get back to doing their jobs to stop aliens, terrorists, and criminals. Proper, secure ID only benefits American citizens.

Nonetheless essential in law enforcement. I fail to see how simply identifying ones self constitutes any breach of a citizens rights. It simply affirms him as a citizen due these rights or an alien due none.

It does not, however, shield citizens from needing to identify themselves in order to receive the benefits of citizenship. The Constitution in no way prevents illegal foreign aliens from being searched and seized.

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Its still racial profiling and you havent addressed that, I have no problem with enforcing the law, but this isnt the way at all. The answer is simple, I shouldnt be stopped in the first damn place because I look hispanic or under the suspicion of being illegal with no viable reason to why that is. Especially if Im not speeding or breaking any other laws at that time, there is no justification in just pulling me over and thats an abuse of power and a racist policy. Police are individuals as well and we both know they abuse their authority at sometimes, its just too much of a gray area for this to be seen as a good solution. Its fascist and this isn't 1935.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

i still dont understand the concept. is the idea that i must produce this card at any time to prove i am legal?

4. LSUMASTERMIND

I dont understand it either, Im guessing it will have all your information attached to this card. Come on Martin, stand with me, its a complete invasion of privacy... lol come on stand with me brother.:hihi:

5. red55

It's racial profiling if they pull over a van for being full of hispanic looking people. It's not racial profiling if they pull over a van for an expired license plate and discover that it is full of Mexican nationals. It's not profiling if they arrest a person for burglary and discover that he is a foreign national. It's not profiling if they ask a witness to a crime for identification. What good is a unidentified witness? Unidentified people can't testify or make a legal statement recognized by a court.

Have you read the law? It does not permit this or allow profiling. Profiling is still illegal. It does not turn Arizona police into Border Patrol agents, it just allows them to identify the aliens that they come into contact with everyday and turn them over to immigration authorities if they turn out to be illegals.

The law says:

"For any lawful contact" means that they cannot illegally profile anybody and pull someone over on suspicion. It means that in the course of their legal regular work, that they can require those legally detained to identify themselves and that those that have been arrested will not be released until proof of immigration status is obtained.

Give me a comparison. Have we executed 6 million aliens? It's not fascist. Most countries require identification be provided to the police upon request.

Look, there is potential for abuse by police, but that is inherent in anything that they do and always has been. There must always be severe penalties for police abusing their authority. But we cannot allow fear of this to permit lawbreakers to break the law without consequence.

6. red55

The idea is that if you are legally detained by the police, you must produce identification. If you turn out to be an illegal alien, then they may turn you over to the border patrol. If you are a citizen or a documented alien, they say, "thank you for your cooperation".

7. LSUMASTERMIND

Thats the gray area my friend and i think you know that.

For any lawful contact" means that they cannot illegally profile anybody and pull someone over on suspicion. It means that in the course of their legal regular work, that they can require those legally detained to identify themselves and that those that have been arrested will not be released until proof of immigration status is obtained.

Unless it is written that the abuses will be dealt with seriously, the scale is tipped in the favor of the police in the essence of power and the abuse of it.

Fascist isn't limited just to executing people, I think you may have mentioned that for pure shock value of my description of this law by mentioning 1935. Also, we are not most countries and our constitution is unique to this modern world and has always been. It simply allows for profiling because language is too broad as I read it and that is the problem.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

and what is the reason i cant use my driver's license for this?

and if this only happens whan i am "legally detained", then how does it help with illegal immigrants that are otherwise law-abiding and have no reason to be detained other than looking like mexos?

9. red55

No the idea of a secure ID is that it doesn't have much information on the card that can be stolen or counterfeited. The information is in a secure database. The card just gives access to the data and only that data that is appropriate from the requester. The card just contains the ID text and photo digitally on a chip inside.

For instance, if a police officer needed to identify you, he would swipe your card and you'd have your thumbprint scanned. Then the system compares that information against the information stored in the secure database and tells the officer that the person is either you or he isn't. Even if someone hacked the card, if it didn't match with the database it would be exposed.

The ID database would exist only to identify people, not to compile all of their records from wherever they exist. In fact it would prevent much identity theft of those records, which is really easy to do right now and is a major problem. The only people to fear an identity check are those people who are hiding their legal identity. One may call himself whatever one wishes as long as he isn't committing fraud, but he still must retain a legal identity.

How can one demand the rights of citizenship if he's timid about identifying himself as entitled to them? Why should illegal aliens be allowed to exploit rights granted to US citizens only in order to avoid arrest and deportation?

Whay should we grant aliens rights that they don't grant us? I guarantee you that red-heads are assumed to be aliens in Mexico and you'd better damn well produce identification when it is asked for.

10. red55

Drivers licenses are poor identification, they only license you to drive a vehicle. They are easily counterfeited.

Read the law. It doesn't permit profiling. It just permits officers to require ID from those detained for lawful reasons. Illegal immigrants are not law-abiding by definition and have no constitutional rights.