Neutered the dog

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Against my will.

He's a bit over a year old. Happiest, friendliest, sweetest, funniest, most playful creature you could ever imagine. Smart and respectful. He was so easy to house train it was ridiculous. Has never marked inside the house, ANYWHERE.

He recently tried to hump a female dog visitor. Its owner was mortified. I was like "He's a male. He's a dog. That's what male dogs do. We're in charge. We don't have to let them go through with it. If you don't like that situation then keep her away from him."

Wife bought into the theory that neutering extends a male dog's life. Maybe that's true, maybe not. Maybe he has a lower risk of prostate cancer now.

Wife said that without neutering we couldn't take him to dog parks and such. So I said "then we won't take him to dog parks."

So, I lost the argument. Not on merit, but on the gotta keep the wife happy principle.

Three days ago this great great and I mean great dog was neutered.

And now he's moping around. I am really, really hoping it's because of the medications he's on... but I'll tell you this: he is certainly not the same dog right now. He is as sweet as ever but his playful spirit is gone.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

That's sucks, but they get over it. We adopted a shelter dog that had already been neutered, and he was extremely playful until he was almost 10 years old.

3. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I had a rottweiler, great dog,.. at about the age of four his personality began to change. He was becoming too protective, too aggressive towards other people, I worried about him when I wasn't around. It was clear to me something bad could happen, he was very large, incredibly strong, dangerous. So I had him neutered,.. the change in his behavior was pretty dramatic, his personality didn't change, but he very much mellowed towards other people. I've never wanted a mean dog, cutting him was the right decision, problem solved, I didn't need to worry after that. My only regret is not being able to get a puppy from him,.. he was by far the best dog I've ever had.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You stole his manhood. He will get over it though. Just go get him some really good treats like ice cream or something. He'll forget all about it.

5. GiantDuckFan

long gone now,.. he never knew what he missed out on.

6. Rex

Rex Founding Member

I understand and support the procedure in an attempt to control aggression. Wasn't the case here. And if he's not back to his old self in a week I'm going to be really, really upset.

7. LaSalleAve

I was talking about Rex's dog, I wonder if it's named Rex. But your Rott, you still have it?

8. GiantDuckFan

Oh, sorry,.. No, Leo got bone cancer when he was 10, common affliction in Rottweilers. We had a earthquake a couple of hours after he died.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

I suspect he'll come out of it once fully healed

10. LaSalleAve

Damn I'm sorry man. Nothing hurts quite like the loss of a family member.

kcal likes this.