Need Printer Help

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I used the play around with Linux Red Hat. Thinking about installing Linux on an old laptop. What is the best version of Linux these dsys?

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Ask that question in a room full of computer nerds and you'd start WW3. Ubuntu is probably the most user-friendly. If you want something with a more Windows-like interface, Mint is a good one. Its Ubuntu-based, but uses a different UI.
    Another option is to make your laptop a Chromebook. https://www.neverware.com/freedownload Cloudready is a custom build of ChromiumOS (which ChromeOS is based on). I put it on a 10 year old laptop and it runs like a champ. My daughter uses it for school work. The only real limitations are that its completely web-based (though I've read you can get Linux apps going on it) and since its not official ChromeOS you don't get Android apps.

I'm running Ubuntu 19.04. The window off to the left is an app called Scrcpy that lets you remotely control your Android phone.
    Screenshot from 2019-09-11 13-18-09.jpg

HalloweenRun likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have 2 old laptops. Maybe I'll put Linux on one and Chrome on the other.

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i have a bunch of chromebooks, with various levels of being smashed. the one i am using has a big crack in the corner of the screen. i always drop them or step on them. they are so cheap as to be almost disposable. you can get a pretty decent chromebook for like $220. never any virus issues or driver bullshit

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Damn, I wish I could talk like that. I’m not bad at tech for an old fart, and I’ve heard of most of that stuff, but that explanation is soooo far beyond me. Got to go, my flip phone is ringing!