NCAA taking serious look at NIL

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, May 7, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I agree that the courts had a big part in it, but the NCAA had the opportunity to put in some guidelines to help eliminate some of the outrageous money deals going on, but they didn't. It started with the court ruling, but the NCAA had every opportunity to install certain rules before voting to adopt NIL.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No, they didn't. That is why they were in court to begin with and they lost. The courts said "It shall be done"

Not sure why you aren't getting this.

Chipeace and GiantDuckFan like this.
  3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

They didn't vote to adopt anything.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

They did vote to accept NIL! On Monday, Ross Dellenger from SI wrote an article titled NCAA Approval of NIL Guidelines Threatens Booster Collectives that dealt with this exact situation.

Per the article - The Division I Board of Directors approved new NIL guidelines Monday, clarifying existing bylaws that prohibit boosters from being involved in recruiting. The group of school presidents rubber-stamped the guidance that college leaders hope will jump-start the NCAA enforcement staff to investigate potential rules violations, both past and future, as reported by Sports Illustrated last week.

In order to approve new guidelines for NIL, you first have approve NIL! Like I stated before, the courts played a huge role in NIL and pretty much forced the NCAA's hand, but the NCAA still had to vote to approve NIL and then set guidelines.

5. shane0911

You are coming around, you are taking the long way around the barn but you are getting there

GiantDuckFan and Chipeace like this.
  6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

They didn't approve NIL. The NCAA board of directors did adopt a rule change which ultimately allowed NIL, but they only changed rules that would have made profiting from NIL a violation. That's an important distinction because they fought against NIL tooth and nail. The Supreme Court made their ruling on June 21st, and the NCAA made a temporary rule change on June 30th, under threat of legal action. What's happening now is the first set of NIL rules from the NCAA.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

OK, I see what's happening now! I appreciate you clearing that up. It will be interesting to see how the NCAA attempts to gain control of this situation. Personally, I think it's gotten so out of control that there's no stopping it. They can put all the new guidelines on paper they want, but the reality is the players/parents/street agents/uncles all want to get paid, so the coaches are going to just have to find another way to get the money to the participating parties using an alternate route. The big boys have been doing it for years, so they may just have to revert back to their old tactics.

MobileBengal and GiantDuckFan like this.
  8. shane0911

Welcome to the party pal

GiantDuckFan likes this.