Navigating the LSU waters

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Oct 1, 2017.

1. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Coach O is 100% responsible for building and the growth of this program. That's the head coaches job, no matter who it is.

We're just fans. We're not coaches or experts. Not to mention we don't have access to what's happening inside the walls of the program. It's very difficult for anybody on here to say "exactly" what's wrong or how to fix it. Frankly, it's not our job to.

But what we're seeing on the field is enough to tell us that the guy in charge is definitely doing something wrong and going in the wrong damn direction. No heart, no passion, no growth, no improvement, just all round shit fest.

I can understand and support an argument about giving the guy a chance. But based on what I've seen, I won't support an argument that Coach O is a good coach and it's not his fault.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Chipeace and TigerTap like this.
  2. roynav

roynav free your mind

People like Pete Carrol and Jimmy Johnson strongly supported his hire and potential. They know far more about football than anyone posting here. Ole Miss was a disaster no doubt. Is he the same person now as then?

Hire good people and let them do their jobs. Don't micromanage, a bedrock of management theory. How should he be overuling Aranda and Canada?

Key obviously has personal issues since last season, O's fault? Should have kicked him off the team? Letting your star play himself back into gameshape vs Troy and Syracuse sounds like a good plan. What should O have done instead?

The huge amount of injuries and attrition are O's fault?

Guice is O's fault? Brousette fumbling? Poor blocking? What should O have done instead?

If true this would be unconscionable. And hey, since it was in Tiggercrappings IT MUST be true, right?

I'm agnostic about O at this point. Just disagreeing about what is or isn't his fault.

Chipeace and COTiger like this.
  3. roynav

roynav free your mind

Is or is not Aranda a defensive genius? In LSU fandom the last two years, Aranda is the Second Coming. Now the defense is struggling, often looking terrible. So Aranda is an overrated bum right? If not, why not?

Or is it more likely he doesn't have the horses and experienced players?

Aranda gets a pass, but O doesn't? Arguably, the defense is a bigger disappointment than the offense.

4. cul2969

cul2969 Founding Member

In business... maybe. Name one successful head coach that's not intimately involved in at least one facet of the game. I'm having trouble coming up with a single one that's doesn't have a guiding offensive or defensive philosophy.

I don't see how one can watch what is going on and not see that O is in way over his head.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    TigerTap, Pjoe and StaceyO like this.
  5. roynav

roynav free your mind

He might be. I'm not saying he's not. Just that there are many glaring issues (key, Guice,QB,offensive line, WRs, defensive line, freshmen all over the field) that are categorically not O's fault. As far as I can see, these issues are the reason for the debacles, not O.

Some of you seem to expect O to make wine from water and have confused him with Jesus.

6. roynav

roynav free your mind

Agreed, but in what timeframe? 9 months? Texas should have fired Herman after the first game? Leach is a trendy name. Take a look at some of the dismal teams he loses TO EVERY year at WSU.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Good post. Oeaux may turn out to be as bad as some people think but we really don't know. The only way we could find out that if what has been speculated is true would be if we had access to an alternate time line where Les Miles was still the coach. Would we have been blown out by Moo U? Would we have lost to Troy?
    Would our O Line have been any better or deeper? Conversely if Miles had been fired after the 2014 season and replaced by (name your favorite coach here) would Diarse, Quinn and Tyron Johnson still be on the team? Like it or not with a $12 Million dollar buyout Oeaux will have at least one more and possibly 2 more seasons to get his and the team's acts together and right the ship. I'm not real confident that he can but I'm not sure that he can't. Like you said, he did have the recommendations of Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson, who between the two have won 2 BCS championships and 3 Superbowls.

8. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

The fact that Pete Jenkins (at his age) is our D line guru and we have no special teams coach tells me all I need to know!

cul2969 and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  9. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Somethings are just not hard to spot.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    TigerTap likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Jenkins might be old but he has forgotten more football than most coaches ever knew. You can't blame him for our defensive line's woes.

Pjoe likes this.