Navigating the LSU waters

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Oct 1, 2017.

1. roynav

roynav free your mind

I'm not yet sure about the cause of our problems and the Miss State and Troy debacles. Is it the coaching--O's fault? Is it the attrition resulting from players leaving early for the NFL+injuries+transfers/dismissals, including their projected two best players, Key and Guice, being totally MIA? Poor recruiting under Les leaving LSU thin on the lines and WRs? All this and more?

Arguing against it being O's fault: 1) he had a strong interim year. 2) The defense has been terrible. That's Aranda's baby. Most think Aranda is a defensive genius and if he is, this argues it is NOT the coaching. And certainly not O's fault given Aranda has free reign. Canada's fault on offense? In his favor he is highly regarded...what does he have to work with? Guice hasn't done squat. The O-line is struggling and has to resort to starting 2 freshman. The WRs are the weakest/youngest in many years. Etling is not a superstar, but solid, but he has no running game, no blocking and terrible WR play so far. Um, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Can this be pinned on the current coaches? TBC

LSU_4_LIFE and Bengal B like this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Sometimes it's not all about X's and O's it's about Jimmy's and Joe's.

TigerSnarl and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Back to back years with preseason Heisman hype being completely vacated early. And Key's head ain't on right, our superstar on D. No heart and this is the one thing Eaux is responsible for. Fail fail epic fail.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  4. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Its all of what you said. I strongly believe it's once again the offense and not going pass first offense and not going to deep or intermediate routes more. Yes Guice is out, the OL line is thin and other than Williams we are average at rb. If I am right why are we still a run first offense? One of us is right.

5. roynav

roynav free your mind

So, unless there is a terrible atmosphere in the locker room we don't know about, it would seem a lack of talent and experience due to injuries and the previous regime is the primary culprit, not O or his staff.

The greatest danger now may be the impact on recruiting if O is seen as a dead man walking. Excessive negativity from the fan base can also poison the recruiting well.

With Guice and Key being no shows, all the freshman playing, the critical lack of depth and experience are we crazy to expect any other outcome?

On the other hand, if O has lost control of the team, that's a problem. Any evidence that he has? If he has, then the 12 million buyout is a barrier to making a change. Cheaper just to keep him on in the athletic program, but no longer as head coach, if that is a contractual possibility.

But based on the evidence so far, it doesn't appear this is O's fault, in which case he is not being given a fair shake.

northernvatiger likes this.
  6. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

If we brought Miles back as an AD would that drop the money we owe him and roll into his contract? I wouldnt necessarily like it if he would only hire 1950's style coaches but maybe there is a chance he brings in a great hire and let's him do his thing.

And yes, I have NO faith in Ed Orgeron. Never really did.

7. roynav

roynav free your mind

Hard to be a passing offense with poor pass protection, poor running to keep defenses honest and poor WR play. And many (not me) think Etling is a poor QB. Either way, not much for a coach to work with is there? Can't expect miracles if the cupboard is bare.

8. lsu-i-like

The crap show versus Troy is evidence Eaux has lost the locker room. This is a lack of giving a shit on behalf of the players and it is so very apparent.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

There's no way LSU will be paying 3 coaches. This is just an opinion, but it's an informed opinion. We're stuck with Zer0 for at least another 2 years. This season is a wash. Might as well start giving Myles/Narcisse more playing time. Or in the case of Narcisse, SOME PT.

10. lsu-i-like

Miles as AD? God no.