NASCAR dropping the hammer!

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by qball316, Feb 13, 2007.

1. meauxjeaux2

meauxjeaux2 Founding Member

I feel some red coming.I'm with mac on this one.The over-dramatization of this (?)sport is what has never allured to me.It's like a soap-opra for men.Exactly who is the athelete in this so-called sport?Sure there is an ability to driving a car,or being in a pit crew,but to call it a sport is ridicoulous.I enjoy drag racing just for the pure speed,but nascar has neither pure speed or athelets.Just my take.

1 person likes this.
  2. BamaBengalTiger

BamaBengalTiger Geaux Tigers !!!!!

If you like to Tailgate, then NASCAR is a lot of fun. We don't just show up for a day. You make it a 3 or 4 day Tailgate. You meet people from all over the country, and have a great time.

People have always raced something. Chariots, horses, boats. It is a competition, but I would have to classify it as a sport. Not just anyone has the ability to drive a racecar. Just like not just anyone has the coordiation to hit a baseball.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

He is suspended indefinetly, that will teach him not to inject steroids into his car.:hihi:

2 people like this.
  4. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

Not everyone has the ability to kick @$$ in quiz bowl....but does that make quiz bowl a sport? Sports require extensive athletic ability. Natural athletic ability of drivers do not determine the outcome. Drivers rely on their MOTOR vehicle.

5. BamaBengalTiger

I have seen it debated a lot about a drivers athletic ability. The drivers are athletes. They train both physically and mentally. It takes a special talent to drive around at those speeds, and have the quick reaction times, calm nerves, awarness of your surroundings, and stamina. Put you foot on the floor on the interstate one day, and hold it there for 30 minutes or so. It isn't as easy as you think, and you are probably not going to be going more than 110. Plus you are going in a staight line.

6. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

Red or not, I'm just defending a sport that I love to watch. Especially since the NFL is over for now.

NASCAR drivers go through a tremendous amount of physical beating in those cars. Take Bristol, think of the Gs those guys put up with going around that tight track for 3+ hrs, not to mention the crashes. It also takes a large amount of concentration to maintain for 3hrs (alot like golf).

1 person likes this.
  7. BamaBengalTiger

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

8. macatak911

The drivers are athletes. I'm an athlete too. A race car is a machine. A bat is a machine. A bike is a machine. What's the difference between the three? The race car's output is not directly related to the operator's input. The race car will drive as fast as the pedal is pushed. Anyone can push the pedal. Not everyone can hit a home run...or win a marathon....or drain treys...

9. macatak911

Jeff Gordon wouldn't win a race with my Grandpa's Oldsmobile.

....and you can't use Wikipedia as a source...

10. meauxjeaux2

meauxjeaux2 Founding Member

Bro,I wasn't really trying to make a personal attack on you.I have tried to watch nascar many,many,many times,and it just is not for me.Alot of people love it.I probably would have been able to watch it a long time ago,before all this reality t.v. crap about nascar drivers and their families.I think the one thing that gets my goat about nascar is the way the media perceives the drivers,which in turn makes fans believe what they say.There is so much more that goes into a successfull racing team than the driver,and that my friend is why I do not like it.If you wanna see g's then go watch nhra.But to me neither is a sport.Just a form of amusement.

1 person likes this.