My new Jambalaya Pot

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Sep 1, 2009.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah ive seen it done every which way esp. at the jambalaya fest where some people try all kinds of crazy things.

where do you usually buy the meat?

and how much does that thing weigh when about full? (please dont MM :lol:)

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

lol...................... I wont.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I get my chicken from Sysco. It comes in 40# cases (4-10# bags in each one). It is the first and second wing joints, already separated.

The pork I get from Albertsons. They aren't a wholesaler, so I usually wait till pork butt or pork shoulder is on sale for $1.00 per pound and buy 100 - 150 pounds at a time. They cube it for me there at no charge.

Sausage I get from Oak Grove Smokehouse in Prairieville whenever I am in town. I usually call ahead and they will make up a couple hundred pounds for me and package it in 10# bags. Albertsons would do it for me, but the sausage here sucks. It's like big hot dogs.

If my power ever goes out I would definitely be looking for a generator or scrambling to get space in one of my buddies' walk-in freezers.

4. KyleK

I'd have to guess at the loaded weight. precooked weight is 90# rice, 200# meat, and 90 quarts of water. The water alone would weigh 187#, the meat would probably reduce by 1/3 to around 130#. Add in the rice and that would be 407# in the pot and the pot/stand weighs about 400#. Pretty f'in heavy!

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What are you, his Mom?

He might need to upgrade to a 48-incher to get to the bottom of that pot.

6. tirk

so theres no actual chicken in the pot. :lol:

this makes the taste for me along with the pork in the sausage.

7. KyleK

I'm with you on the pork. I have done a lot of jambalayas w/ just pork and it is still very good. The pork sticking to the bottom, then getting scraped when you add the water is actually where the brown color comes from. I firmly believe you can't have good jambalaya w/o pork. The chicken is just a bonus (and they are big wings). You are right though, not a lot of chicken meat!

1 person likes this.
  8. tirk

same here. you could just make me a sandwich at that point. :D the smells are pretty awesome.

you ever cook with oak. (i didnt want to ask if you cooked with wood)

9. KyleK

When I was still in BR I did. Here, it's so windy and dry that it's not safe. I cook at the soccer fields, a pasture for Shrinefest, etc. If I used wood, we'd have a wildfire in no time. So, for the last 8 years I've been strictly propane.

Much more of an art to cooking w/ wood than a burner. My hat is off to anyone who does so successfully. :thumb:

10. KyleK

You are absolutely right. That's might favorite time too. Toward the end of the day though, the last thing I want to smell is jambalaya!