My Idea to stop Malicious Hits in Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by wenkebach, Dec 14, 2011.

1. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Ahhh...now here's the caveat. You're wanting to imply stupidity...or lack of comprehension skills on my part. Look in the mirror. I've never said he shouldn't have been penalized, as you imply to LaSalle. LaSalle's opinion is his own. Mine is mine. You shouldn't assume. Especially when your assumption is the basis for your insults. In the context of the rules, he certainly should've been penalized. But McCoy was far from a defenseless player. He's a guy who braced for impact and got his cock knocked into his watchpocket. It's football.

I simply think the rule is stupid, because it puts defenses at a disadvantage while they're not offered similar protections...at least not in terms of enforcement. I think the rule pussifies the game and protects offenses. Hence the offensive explosion of the past couple of years. Defenses are tentative. Those who are not get fined. But the rule isn't going anywhere. So defenses will transition. Then the NFL will find another way to create an advantage for the offense because points sell tickets. Great defenses don't.

And in the context of this discussion, there are several other hits, including ones by Harrison, that are textbook examples of defenders gone too far. That wasn't one of em. THAT is why I don't think it was that bad. He had one last year against the Brown's receiver that looked like he was trying to hit the guy in the head. This one, I don't think he was. It appeared he was going for facemask to chest...like they're taught, but didn't get low enough. However, in the context of the rule, intent is not a qualifier.

2. wenkebach

wenkebach Founding Member

Sorry for the implication - not meant to be an insult. I just completely disagree with your opinion about the McCoy hit. In my opinion, and many others - he was maliciously hit. McCoy was not braced at all for that hit.

I also personally believe Harrison is a thug and should be suspended for several games, if not the rest of the season. Not just based on this hit, but on several others.

And I can see your point about giving offenses too much of an advantage, and I do agree.

Again - sorry for the misuse of words - not intended to be an insult. Just incredulous that you thought that the hit wasn't "all that bad."

3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

That's fair. My comment was contextual. I don't believe he was defenseless. I do believe he was a fairly light guy who got creamed by a 290lb. mack truck. Harrison is an already big dude who's also freakishly strong. That made the malicious nature of it that much worse. A big QB like Big Ben or Joe Flacco might've barely budged. Light guys like McCoy and Brees would go flying making it appear that much worse than it already is.

Much like in basketball the dilemma with calling fouls on Shaq. He got scores of flagrants that he didn't deserve, but because everyone he faced was so much smaller it created a bias.

In the context of the rules, Harrison is an egregious offender, but I'd stop short of extended suspensions or even calling him a thug. He'd fit right in with the 70's and 80's era Steeler and Raider defenses. Plus, this is his first offense this season if I'm not mistaken, so in theory, he's adapting pretty well considering how last season went for him.

4. wenkebach

wenkebach Founding Member

Just thought it would be interesting to come up with a way to prevent the very rare, maliciously intentional foul. Whether or not JH took a cheap shot certainly subjective - and no doubt, CM v. JH = CM Displacement.

Hockey has the penalty box; soccer has the red card, baseball has the game ejection.

I guess it's just a little more difficult in football to weed out the malicious from the overly-aggressive.

I love the sport, and I would LOVE to be out there playing again. I enjoy fair, clean, aggressive hits just like the next guy.

To me, it looked like JH just took it too far.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Again, if the league was really concerned about head trauma they would do something to protect offensive linemen, and running backs. There are currently no rules in place to protect running backs unless they are catching a pass. This isnt about malicious hits, it's about money.