My Idea to stop Malicious Hits in Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by wenkebach, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Signed, Big Ben, Timmy, et al.

Offensive linemen are bigger faster and stronger...it's their job to protect their qb.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Most NFL QB's are actually really big men. I once took a picture with Steve Young and was amazed at how broad his shoulders were.

One notable exception is Tony Romo; he is truly no bigger than any average guy, very slight of build.

But most of the QB's are really big guys (I'll bet Colt McCoy is more of the Tony Romo sort of build, though I've never seen him in person.)

3. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Can anyone confirm that Indianapolis has been playing a man down the whole year?

1 person likes this.
  4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Wait, are you saying McCoy lowered his head to create a helmet to helmet situation? Please go to 1:01 of this video and say that again:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k&feature=related]James Harrison hit on Colt McCoy 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Most NFL players will say they want to hit their opponents hard, they want to deliver "remember me" shots, they want to affect the other guy's play by gettin in his head. They DO NOT want to intentionally injure another player, especially the type of injury that can shorten the other guy's career....and for a very simple reason: they don't want the other guy trying to do the same to them. Harrison has exhibited a pattern of on-the-field behavior that indicates he does not respect other players.

I think we all agree the league is going overboard in trying to protect players. But its not difficult to distinguish (through replay) from a player who is playing the game with violence, but within the rules, from a player who is attempting to inflict injury. Fugg Harrison, they can't suspend him for long enough.

5. wenkebach

wenkebach Founding Member

There's medicine for what you suffer from.....a loss of connection to reality.

6. mctiger

Here is the video of Sheldon Brown famously lighting up Reggie Bush in the '06 playoff game:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqmdI3tVuMA]Sheldon Brown destroys Reggie Bush - YouTube[/ame]

This is a textbook example of the proper way to hit someone on the football field. Brown puts his shoulder directly in RB's chest. But, I would be willing to bet if that play happened this year, Brown would get flagged for a flagrant hit on a defenseless receiver.

However, there's no comparison between Brown on Bush, to Harrison on McCoy. JH led with the helmet, to the helmet. Banning this is a good rule, and its a rule that JH refuses to accept. And I get the argument that you're trying to get players to change what they've been taught all their lives. I can accept that, to a point. I know a lot of coaches teach players to keep their head up, and put their facemask directly in the ballcarrier's chest. But I'm still waiting for the coach that will stand up and say he teaches helmet-to-helmet hitting.

7. wenkebach

wenkebach Founding Member

I totally agree - This is a perfectly fair, clean hit. Sheldon Brown should not get a penalty for this.

8. mctiger

And for you....go to :56 and tell me again that he "lowered himself." Yes, he braced for impact....at 1:02 you can see him close his eyes in anticipation of getting the crown of a helmet in his face.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k&feature=related]James Harrison hit on Colt McCoy 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

9. mctiger

And just so we're clear....he didn't.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Jamarkus is bigga !! :hihi:

Maybe the player could get benched (without replacement) for the next play.