My Idea to stop Malicious Hits in Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by wenkebach, Dec 14, 2011.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

As for the hits on defenseless WRs, I've heard a couple of DBs say they'll just have to adapt to the rules and start going low more often and take out the WR's legs. Apparently, most WRs would prefer to play with the risk of possible concussion rather than a leg injury that could put them on the shelf for over a year. It's kind of ironic that the WRs being protected are against the newer rules.

Personally, I don't like the original suggestion about removing a defensive player for the game. If a player is a repeat offender of overly vicious hits, I think the fines/suspensions should simply increase to fit the crime.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That is the problem. One man's flagrant foul is another man's hard-nosed football.

The Bama fans are still seething about Mathieu's hold on Kilpatrick. It was a hold and he was penalized, but they all see it as a personal foul and that he should have been ejected. Just because Dre fell down and got hurt after being held.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It's football, and football is a brutal game. That's why we love it. Before long, I believe that QB's in the NFL will be wearing flags or non-contact jerseys.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I like the "red card" idea, but it would probably have to be enforced by the replay official. Not many situations are as obvious as the Harrison/McCoy hit, and if you give the red card to the guys on the field, you're going to see guys ejected when they probably shouldn't have been penalized to begin with.

5. msully

msully Founding Member

well lets's see how

Let's just wait and see how our ex coach has his players treat our QB . We should really refer to saban as our ex coach just to remind the Bama fans ,

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Naaahhhh. They will conveniently forget 2 season with the Dolphins, and argue that he stepped up in class by going from LSU to Bama.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm against the red card idea because it came from soccer and I can't stand soccer or anything that comes from it. I know, whatever still don't care.

Are the hard hit calls subjective, of course, every flag that has ever been thrown has been subjective. Was it holding or was it a clean block? dont' know, all depends on what the zebra saw.

The problem is with how they write the rules. It has gotten to the point where if you make a good hard tackle on someone it is a penalty and they more times than not error on the side of the offensive player. This results in a 15 yd penalty that affects the game only to later find out that it wasn't helmet to helmet after all it just "looked that way". That is crap.

IMO until they get ref's that are part of a professional organization and has some accountability and not Joe who runs the local pharmacy in bug town, ark M-F this will never end. They are making a joke out of football. Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, Howie Long, Ronnie Lott could not play football today and that is a shame.

8. msully

msully Founding Member

OK How about this

Tag football one hand on a shoulder pad the other on left leg or riigt leg at the same time
    that should work

9. Wildcard

Wildcard Veteran Member

Sorry but what you're calling for would completely ruin the game.

Refs already abuse their power. Give them this and you'd have players being ejected every game. Payoffs from gambling, etc.

No damn way.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

they are already ruining the game, it's a freaking joke. It's not football anymore. It's foosball. Stacy hit the nail on the head, just give em a no contact jersey, and let the receivers wear flags.