My First Game Observations

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Sep 5, 2022.

1. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

This team was not prepared for this game and neither was the coaching staff.

Not enough physical preparation like tackling.

special teams were not prepared. its obvious Nabers isnt the answer at punt returner. And extra point and field goal needs alot more practice at live kicks.

Defense rushing the qb was erratic and undisciplined.

:we were outcoached,outdisciplined by a team that showed playing a game before made a big difference.

The team has a long road this year. I am just hoping for 6-6 or better. Kelly saying he has to change culture is an understatement.

I did like the fact they didnt quit and kept fighting.

2. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

This reminded me of an episode of Bar Rescue... when they come in, gut and rebuild, then do a "test opening" to see if the staff can handle it. Just a complete lack of coordination, communication, and sense of team if I had to oversimplify it...

cul2969, LSUTiga, LSU_4_LIFE and 3 others like this.
  3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

That is why I had zero expectations. My mood was even.

We have talent, its there, just really poor execution. While at game speed Daniels made very questionable calls, he is very young but he did surprisingly progress as the game neared completion and that is a positive.

All the other stuff is 100% fixable for sure. I guess it is just a matter of how quickly we can get these things fixed and mindset is the hardest one to get right.

LSUTiga likes this.
  4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

My biggest concern with Daniels... Was he genuinely progressing, or was he just showing flashes of it? The latter has never worked out well for LSU in similar situations. This (admittedly) is why I am less than optimistic of the QB situation. Can't help it.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I agree. The decision to go uptempo with quick throws definitely helped Daniels, but it also seemed to me that on the longer drops, he was making more of an effort in the second half to hang in the pocket, as opposed to taking off the moment he couldn't find the primary receiver, as he did in the first half.

geaux9 and lsu-i-like like this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Agree on every point, but I think we're better than 6-6. The panic button is being pressed too quickly and too hard. Can't really expect a staff working as a group for the first time to correct two years of toxicity, reload a hugely depleted roster with dozens of transfer athletes from lesser programs and mold them into cohesive units through the course of one summer. We will get better.

APPTiger, kcal, Herb and 1 other person like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

JD isn’t young, everyone is living in the transfer age; the biggest thing I can give BK credit for is he’s dealing with bad culture or a void of culture.

That said, gordy rush said he was shocked how bad they looked, they looked much sharper in 1v1 fall scrimmages. Maybe it’s just nerves, a lot of these guys are probably nervous to be playing in the spotlight lsu brings.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Damn I just looked it up. He looks 18 (and played like it) not 21. Yea, uhhh, ha.

[​IMG]

Man, I am actually glad now I didnt invest too much into the off-season. Just along for the ride!

9. TigerGirlDad2022

TigerGirlDad2022 Freshman

I'm pretty new to watching the Tigers and I'm invested in the game since our daughter goes there. My impressions were two fold. First, tackling was terrible. Second, Daniels doesn't step up into the pocket the way I'd expect an NFL caliber player to do, he used his legs more than I would have liked. That being said, those flashes of brilliance at the end were against a prevent defense, any half competent QB can complete some passes under those circumstances. Had Fla kept M2M and pressure, I think we wouldn't have done as well at the end. That's just my impression. I have now lost my first night of sleep due to the Tigers, so I can add those to the NY Giants sleepless nights I'll be getting : 0

10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

1. JD IS our QB. I was very impressed. The OC must have made adjustments that got JD to explode in the second half.
    2. Our CB's are very good. Better than I anticipated
    3. Front 7 got better in the 2nd half. Still missing too many tackles. Was pissed that Gaye did what he did. Coaches need to jump his sorry ass for that.
    4. OL seemed to play much better in 2nd half. Center position needs work and Cambell showed he's a freshman.
    5. Every recievers caught everything thrown to them with ironically only Boutte dropping passes. Our deepest most talented position
    6. Have no idea how good a running game we have. Should see our running game this weekend.

Conclusion
    1. Special teams cost us 2 TD's. 2 muffed punts, blocked field goal and game tieing extra point.
    2. Missed blocking cost us tie.
    3. I thought the coaches made adjustments that got us back in position to win.
    4. Not playing an easy warm up game hurt us. Most teams get better between game one and game 3. Fla St played a powder puff first game. We will know a lot more by game 3.
    5. I am more optimistic than I was before this game. CBK and the staff should not be judged yet too early to tell.

Lastly we need to chill out and let the season play out. Whole damm new staff. Practice is one thing but real game experience for this staff is another. We shall see how we improve.

tigerace and Winston1 like this.