Mud Bugs

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by CajunlostinCali, Mar 16, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ace Hardware.

A galvanized steel 20-gallon trashcan lid is 17 5/8 " and about $6.50. The 31-gallon lid is 21" and about 7.50

Buy the whole trash can and then you'll have a can for purging the crawfish, too.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Purging just kills them. Wash them with clean water. That is all.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I haven't had very many crawfish survive dropping them in boilig water less than 5 minutes later.

But I will agree that purging them is pointless, except to satisfy the backseat cook who complain if you don't do it.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

The ones at Swamp Daddys in Alexandria are already clean and still alive, all you have to do is drop them in the pot once you get home.

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

There is one in just about every crowd. I tell them to just pull the vein out! I've shut a few people up on how I boil crawfish and season them by telling them they get to boil the next batch from scratch. If I'm boiling for a group and especially if kids are there, I keep it pretty "vanilla" so everyone can enjoy the crawfish. Your lips don't have to burn for the crawfish to be good, IMHO.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

no, but there is never anything wrong with a good lip burn!:grin:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

People disagree, personally I think its a waste of salt. The point is that you get a lot of mud out by hosing them down and you need something to do that in.

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

:shock:

[​IMG]

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Okay new question and I need a consensus on this one quickly; I am going to have roughly 50-60 people at this party however none of them can throw down on some bugs like I can and maybe 10-15 have ever eaten them before. How much should I order? I was going to go with 120# at 40# a sack but that was over a month ago. If the crawfish are bigger and only going 30# a sack ???? Im thinking 3 sacks will be enough. If I have any left over it will make a great etoufee.

BUT... if I lay out the first batch and these okies take a liking to them I could wind up short??? Beings I'm going to be on the boiler I need to make sure there is enough left for me when it is all said and done!

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Shane, when I was still in BR, I would always get 5# per adult. Here in N Texas (probably very similar to your guests) I get 2# per adult and it works out right. They, even the people who have eaten them before, just don't eat them fast enough to each much more than that. I also find that they love the corn and potatoes, so make sure you have enough corn for each adult to have about 1.5 small ears.