Mud Bugs

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by CajunlostinCali, Mar 16, 2010.

1. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Why are we friends? :lol:

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I'm having a crawfish boil tomorrow. $1.99 lb live . We're getting 2 sacks (about 70 lbs). I'm looking forward to cooking these sumbitches.

Oh, and eff Zatarains. If you don't use Swampfire you are missing out. Swampfire seafood boil is unbelievably awesome.

Pretty much use a bag for a sack and add about 3 cups to the boil before every batch....season with cayenne as needed and throw whatever you want in the boil. YOU CANNOT SCREW IT UP. Every batch is slammin'.

Oh...and the clincher is that after they boil for about 7 minutes, throw a bunch of ice in the pot and put the lid on it and let them soak for about 25 minutes. Don't let the ice thing fool you....THEY WILL NOT BE COLD WHEN YOU SERVE THEM, I promise! It helps them soak up the flavor. Then, when you spread them out on the table to start digging into them, sprinkle a little Slap Ya Mama over the top of them.

I just told y'all what I would never tell my buddies. I promise you that if you follow these directions that they will be a great batch and you'll be a hit at the crawfish boil.:thumb:

I understand that everyone does it their own way....but this is my way and I've had alot of success doing it this way. Hope this helps some of you.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I got River Crawfish at $1.50 / lb last weekend. Leblanc's Grocery in Morganza...

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

$1.90 here in Lafayette over the weekend. Price is dropping.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Thanks for the update, I am about to have at least 2 sacks flown in.

6. shane0911

Just called, $1.85. Still almost 3 weeks out until I place the order but to have 3 #40 sacks delivered is going to run my about $240 including freight. I can taste them already.

7. HatcherTiger

:thumb: Don't eat the dead ones!!!!!!

[​IMG]

8. HatcherTiger

There is a place within easy walking distance of my office that is serving boiled crawfish 3# for $11.99. Not bad if all you want is a small "taste" of boiled crawfish.

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Funny how the amt/person changes w/ location. In BR, whenever I would cook crawfish, I would get 5# per person (adults). It always worked out about right. Here in N Texas, the ratio is about 2#/person. They just don't know how to eat them fast here and get tired before they get full. The lower ratios help mitigate the higher prices here.

10. shane0911

I've had this guy ship me crawfish before and the curly's to the straight tail ratio was as good as to be expected. Slightly more than a handful per 40# sack. Not much worse than had I picked them up in St. Martinville and drove them to New Iberia.