MS gators

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Sep 10, 2018.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

gator season over here closing today. Got a couple decent ones for the over 7 tags and some good runts for the short tags. Was a little disappointed that we couldnt make it happen on the bigger ones we spent the first half of the week after they just would not get in areas we could do anything with then the water got so high with Gordon rains it ended it in that area. Ended up with a couple 8.5s and some good runts at 6'9" and 6"10". Caught and released several other in the 5.5-7ft range. After looking at the harvest report so far for the zone not feeling to bad about it any more.....numbers this year are less than half what they usually are which I am sure is mostly due to the weather and the gators just being unreachable for most of the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P&G Fan and GregLSU like this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Nice haul. They look sort of thin?

3. jvalhenson

nah they about average for their size....just not really big gators. they do not start getting a lot of girth till they get up over 9ft. at 8ft they start getting a good head on em but the body doesnt catch up till about 9. after 9 their growth in length slows way down and they start getting heavy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    ROY_LA_CA, GregLSU and GiantDuckFan like this.
  4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Gotcha
    Makes sense now that I think about the fat ones I've seen.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What do you do with the skins?

6. jvalhenson

they are salted and sittin right now. not sure what gonna do. bottom has completely fallen out of the market only getting $10/ft over 8 and $6 for 6-8ft. Costs more in gas to bring em to buyer than will get for em. do skull mounts with the heads and of course eat all the meat. Will decide on the skins later. Looked at getting some stuff made....wallet, boots, etc type stuff.....but again it costs so dern much it isnt worth it. Can just buy a pair of boots made from farmed gator for 1/3rd what it costs to get one made with your own hide. Got some buddys that want to just get them tanned and hang up so I will prob just give them to them and let em hang em up.

P&G Fan, GregLSU, KyleK and 1 other person like this.