Mp3 Player - iPod discussion for Martin

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by uscpuke, Oct 23, 2004.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

TE, The stock headphones, which are Sennheiser (sp?) are some decent 'phones. They're pretty much the best stock earphones I've ever heard. The thing I didn't like about them was the comfort. I must have small ear canals because they never fit right. There are a myriad of aftermarket 'phones out there and it all depends on what you want. Are you going to listen to music just for the hell of it, while you're working out, commuting, or things like that? Or are you going to listen to music solely as a pastime in itself? For me, it was the latter. As a musician and huge audiophile, I was always fighting to get simply DECENT sound quality in earphones. After searching far and wide, I've found several units which display impeccable SQ. Of course, like I said, those cost a pretty penny. Also, a lot of the aftermarket earphones (which fit in your ear as opposed to headphones which fit on your head--sorry for stating the obvious,) are sound cancelling, meaning that they cancel out ambient sounds... This is a bit of a misleading feature because they don't cancel out ambient sounds like some headphones do, they simply block it out. Most do a fairly decent job at this, blocking out around 70-85% of ambient noise.

Yo, NoLimit, did you check out the new Hi-MD units yet? They use a 1gb disc as opposed to the standard 160mb discs of old... you do the math!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I got a pair of Bose Noise-Cancelling headphones for Christmas. They are way too bulky for going jogging with or carrying in a shirt pocket, but they absolutely make background noise disappear and you can hear the ipod like you were in a studio. I sit on my porch swing with them often when reading. You don't realize how much background noise there is in the city until you turn on this baby and it . . . just . . . friggin' . . .disappears. Your central air conditioning roars all the time and you have just gotten used to it. The Bose creates a virtual quiet room. Random noises like a car horn or a television dialog will come through kind of muted. But the background noise is just gone. It's great out on the road, the dull highway roar goes away and you can hear the quietest music without cranking up the decibels.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i have an one (minidisc player) which plays the iomega click!-discs which were awesome. Didnt hold much but very convenient and was better than the flash cards. then then discontinued them but I still have mine.

in the process of buying a new ipod right now. Has anyone tried an iRiver? they call it an ipod killer but I doubt it holds up. would have to be pretty damned good.

4. tirk

has an Fm tuner which I want as well.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120079,00.asp

Can IRiver Become an IPod Killer?

Company hopes its digital audio players will lure users away from Apple.

Martyn Williams, IDG News Service
    Thursday, March 17, 2005

Rival Products

The result of that effort, the 5GB H10, has been received well by various reviewers, who suggested that potential buyers weigh the price against its extra features. At $280, the player is $30 more expensive than Apple's 6GB IPod Mini, but offers several features not found on the Apple player. These include a color LCD screen, FM radio, photo slide show ability, and voice recorder.

Then, at last week's CeBIT show, Reigncom expanded the H10 line-up to include a larger 20GB version and a smaller 1GB version, the former based on a 1.8-inch hard drive and the latter on flash memory. The three H10 players now compete broadly with Apple's IPod Shuffle, IPod Mini, and IPod, and all carry the additional features the original H10 offers.

Reigncom has decided that such features are its best weapon against Apple, Yang says.

"I gave up competing on style and looks," he says. "If I did it would just turn into an Apple imitation. So, Apple is focused on style and I am focused on features."

But to completely forget about style would be a mistake, he says. Design of IRiver players is handled by Inno Design, an industrial design company based in Palo Alto, California, that does work for clients including Samsung Electronics, LG Electronics, and Mitsubishi Electric.

"Image is important, Apple proved it," Yang says.

5. tirk

anyone have an idea on the 3rd and 4th generation differences? and are the price differences worth it?

im looking at the 20-40 GB range and have an ebay itch im about to scratch.

6. tirk

much like women buy things when depressed, I decided to buy me a new iPod after the game last night. Seems like this buying stuff works. im already much happier.

7. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

The iRiver seems to be the audiophiles mp3 player of choice. I tried it (as mentioned in the original post) and the sound quality was superb, yet it was inferior to iPod in just about every other category. If you want to listen to FM, iRiver has it, but I despise FM radio so that did little for me. The basic set up and navigation was terrible. A blind monkey could use an iPod, while it would take someone as smart as TRA to figure out the iRiver. Actually I figured it out but it still sucked.
    As far as the minidisc, I owned that damned thing too. It is a small step up from your basic cd player, just smaller and able to hold more songs. However it would still take ~40 MD to hold what I have on my iPod. Still a major pain in my horses ass.

8. tirk

wanted fm for gamedays as did peabody. i dont like carrying 2 around.

plus i have that fm transmitter to play ur songs over the radio which is another reason to bring the ipod.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

son of an ass, the damn backorder on the nano is killing me. i sold my mini so now whenever i go somewhere (i walk) its dead silence. no music, no podcasts (including the geaux show), so boring. riding the subway is torture. it takes me 20 seconds to read the ny post, then i sit there so bored i want to get into a fight with some dominicans just to pass the time. and i like dominicans.

i got the black version of the nano. i still wish it had am radio on it, but you cant have everything.

10. Chef

Chef Founding Member

What is the difference between the Ipod-Mini and the Ipod-Nano?