Most Impossible too Break Baseball Records

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Here are 22 considered by one source never to be broken

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/arti...never_be_broken_in_our_lifetimes/s1__24642637

OK, I say DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak is not impossible. It would take a lot of luck and breaks but it wouldn't even have to be done by a future all time great. Could even be a rookie who got hot early and got his streak before going through the league and the pitchers had the book on him.

Likewise Johnny Vandermeer's back to back no hitters. Two pitchers have come within one inning or one at bat of doing it. Again, it wouldn't have to be a superstar. Would anybody have ever heard of Vandermeer if not fot the record?

The record that will never be broken even in a thousand years is Cy Young's 511 career wins.

Second least likely is Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak. Even if a player wanted to and never once got sick or injured no manager is going to allow it to happen.

Then Nolan Ryan's K record. Ryan almost never missed a start in 27 years and stayed a dominant power pitcher his entire career. And he was in a 4 man rotation where nowdays everybody uses a 5 man rotation.

I don't think anybody will ever win 30 games in a season. It hasn't been done since Denny McClain won 32 in 1968.
    The record is 59 by a pitcher in 1895 but records from that era are sketchy. Some sources credit him with 60 or 62.
    Walter Johnson's 41 in a season is safe too.

I'm saying that Barry Bond's 73 homers will be broken and his record won't last as long as Babe Ruth's 60 or Roger Maris' 61.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Yep homeruns are trending up still. Most homeruns in a month was last month. 1135. Agree on most all your opinions on these. Hitting streak is doable. Home runs possible not probable. I guess none are probable.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I disagree. Hitters no longer care about striking out. I was listening to a Cardinals game the other day and the guys asked Jim Edmonds "we are now at 60 games, how many timss do you think the Cards have struck out 10 or more times in a game" he guessed 5 or 6. I think the actual number was 11 or 12.

Here is the thing, at the time it was 5th best in the league. That is stupid as to how many times hitters strike out so I can absolutely see this one coming down.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Batter strikeouts might be going through the roof and a number of pitchers are averaging a K per inning or better but for a pitcher to break Ryan's record he would have to remain healthy and be a power pitcher for more than 20 years. He would have to do it consistently year after year. And there is the fact that Ryan pitched in a 4 man rotation and got more starts per season than any pitcher is getting now. Add in the fact that Ryan regularly went deep into the game and had many complete games. Even the best pitchers now are pulled after 6 or 7 innings.

Take Justin Verlander for example. He currently leads the majors in strikeouts but rarely pitches more than 6 innings.

watson1880 likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson might have challenged for the record if they had pitched in a 4 man rotation.

6. shane0911

Or if they pitched in an era like today. Im not saying it will be broken just that I could see it happening. Almost every batter is trying to go yard, that puts things in the pitchers favor. Back in Ryan's day hitting was an art form and striking out was an embarrassment, today its no big deal.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Has nothing to do with one guy doing it. Not happening.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. shane0911

Has a ton to do with it if that "one" guy is on the mound racking up 10 k's a game or more. It could happen.

9. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

if a pitcher matched nolan ryan's modern day season record of 383 strikeouts,.. it would take 15 seasons of doing that, to break nolan ryan's 5714 all time strikeouts record

kcal and Bengal B like this.
  10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

the fear ryan put in an opposing batter was impressive to watch

GiantDuckFan likes this.