Morris Claiborne dropped from #1 to #2 on Rivals top 25 DBs (what a crime)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 29, 2011.

1. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Lets give props to cooper and chief for getting all this talent to play as a unit.

2. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Laron Landry and Chad Jones....my two favorite LSU safetys of all time.

3. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Landry is the best S weve had. Far and away. The kid was a beast every year here. I really like Reid. He is excellent in all facets.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I don't know. Probably haven't been paying attention to his superior play as a strong safety.

Notice how he is probably the best run defending strong safety in college football? Remember the stick he gave the great Trent Richardson for a 5 yard loss vs Bama? No one has probably done that all year against him with a solo tackle. He is tied for 4th in tackles for loss with 6 1/2 (includes sacks), and tied for 1st in tackles for loss (if you exclude sacks) with 5 1/2.

Half of a strong safety's job is defending the run.

Taylor has also been excellent in pass coverage, see stats in my previous post (5 breakups, 7 passes defended, 2 interceptions).

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

No love for Jack Hunt? Don't forget, we don't beat Kentucky in 02 without him...

1 person likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Tyrann is just a football player. Morris Claiborne is the best cover corner i think i have ever seen play. He is that good. He is like Deion Sanders but not a bitch, and not scared to get dirty. Tyrann isn't nearly as good in coverage as Mo is.

7. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Landry's hitting made everyone fall in love with him but he is not near the player that Reid is. Landry made everyone fall in love because he's a workout warrior and he hits like a mack truck. He got drafted high because of speed and strength first, then skill. If skill was first he goes later in the draft. Landry is serviceable but he gets burnt routinely.

Eric Reid is going to be a hall of famer if he stays healthy. Smarter player. That's more important than laying the wood when you play Safety.

And Issy, Reid is going to be a top-10 pick next year. The scouts are already salivating because he's probably going to have a great workout, great interviews, and he's probably going to score close to perfect on the wonderlik.

8. LaSalleAve

Totally agree. Laron was a big hitter, and he is great against the run and blitzing and over the middle, but he absolutely blows when it comes to defending the deep ball.

9. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Is mo better than pp7 was? That's one hell of a statement. Pp7 has all the hardware to prove himself. All the post season awards pp7 got was amazing. Best college defensive player award! I don't know if mo has the hype around him to get all those awards.

10. LaSalleAve

Mo doesn't have the hype because he hasn't returned a bunch of punts for touchdowns, even though he does have 1 return for a TD. Mo I think will be a better corner in the NFL. Peterson is just way too big in my opinion, now and I believe nupe pointed this out in another thread, Peterson while he is young will be a solid corner, but may be moved to a safety position after 4 or 5 seasons. Mo will be a lockdown corner for years.