More love...................

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by XXL TideFan, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Bamadan

Bamadan Freshman

..then go check out Crouching Tigers, XXL! I have met some of the best AU fans there!:cool:

Darn good post, Dave! You have said it for all the good fans of our conference!:cool: Let's settle our differences on the football field, not on the Internet!

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You make some good points Dave and there is no place anywhere for actual hatred. But, let's face it. If this was a big old warm and fuzzy love fest among the participants, it wouldn't be very entertaining.
    I don't dislike Auburn fans but Tubby is another matter. When he was at Ole Miss and we were stuck with Tepper, every part of the field was 4 down territory for him (and a lot of other coaches for that matter) and the smirk on Tubbys face everytime they made a first down after going for it on 4th down is burned into my memory.

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Great post, Dave. I agree. I sometimes get carried away a little but I never want to intentionally hurt anyones feelings or insult anyone. We all have a love and passion for our schools and get great enjoyment out of following them and perhaps even live a part of our lives thru them. But when it is all said and done, they are only ballgames. The sun will still come up tomorrow and life will still go on. I have never heard of a ball game changing the course of history or preventing a war or whatever.
    Any smack should be good natured and there certainly is no room nor call for any hatred on anyone's part. When fans from the visiting school come to town, they should be treated as guests in our homes and they should act that way. I, for one, have gone to several away games and for the most part have been treated with nothing but courtesy and respect by the fans at AZ., AU., Bama and Ole Miss.
    Life is too short and these events should be too enjoyable and special to screw them up with ugliness.

God Bless

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

:lsug: :lsug: :lsug:

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Re: Events of 1999 & 2001, and the internet

As an LSU fan and a SEC fan, I don't like mean spirited smack talk on the net either ... especially uninformed or unwarranted ... but I don't run from it, either and I do enjoy having fun and stirring the pot ... like many others.

However, I'm fortunate enough, unlike you, not to be in the situation where MY HEAD COACH IS A REAL PIECE OF WORK. Tubby dug that grave for himself ... you didn't do it ... and as sure as GOD made little green apples ... that cat will REAP IT.

NICK SABAN WILL CONTINUE TO PUNISH THIS CLOWN FOR HIS ...

CIGAR-SMOKING, LOWLIFE, CLASSLESS, TRULY HATED AND ...

:cuss: U~N~F~O~R~G~I~V~A~B~L~E :cuss: ANTICS.

AU will be buried by 50 points next year.

WHEN TUBBY HAS FAILED & IS GONE ... then the horse will be dead for me. That being said ... I also look forward to watching LSU & even BAMA DESTROY Tubberville for the rest of his tenure at AU, both in recruiting and on the gridiron ... sorry you have to suffer from this as you seem like a decent guy. Maybe the NEXT COACH at AU will have a little class, and the HATRED WILL MOST SURELY be over for me and I'll move on.

I also sincerely hope Auburn goes out and wins their bowl game for the SEC, the best football conference in America ... and I hope you and yours have a great holiday season, sir.

5. Claw

Claw Founding Member

Good post, AUDave. I have friends, coworkers, and relatives who are graduates of various different universities, most with some strong athletics programs. To this point, at least in the last 30 years, LSU's athletics has shown itself capbable of winning national championships in Baseball and Track & Field. In that time span, I have seen many SEC schools win national championships in football, and I have rooted for all of them in their title quest (except for Florida under Spurrier, but that's another story). This year is our shot. Forgive us if we seem as braggarts and crow loudly...it's been a long time comin'. We mean no disrespect unless we are first disrespected.

6. AUDave

AUDave Founding Member

My last comment on this thread

Sorry folks, I know that this is an old thread, but I am just now able to respond.

SabanFan:

I agree, the message boards would be quite boring if it was all warm and fuzzy, in part because all of the teams are not equal and each team's performance demands a different level of respect than the other teams' performances. It is fun to sing the praises of your team and to debate with other fans as to why your team is the best. I wanted to say that in my post but the post was way too long already. However, message board posters are going way too far nowadays and the messages are more like attacks rather than opinions. What constitutes too far? I don't know, but I know when I type it and I know it when I read it.

As for Tuberville and smirking after 4th down conversions, I personally think that the smirks were directed inwardly as if to say to himself " wow we got away with that one." I think Tuberville felt like he had to coach games like that at Ole Miss to have a chance to win because of the short deck that he was dealt. I think it went against everything that he knew about coaching football, and you can even see him now struggling to get away from risky coaching. The problem was rival fans took the risks as show boating and those perceptions were never addressed by Tuberville; he never explained his actions.

ramah:

You make a good point. The uninformed posters usually post the most venomous and unwarranted posts. That point needed to be included in my post. I was trying to say that these types of posters are beginning to run the message boards. They already take up considerable bandwidth.

The only thing that I can say about your hatred for Tuberville is that I think that it might be based more on presumption than fact. To hate Tuberville as much as you do, you would have to credit Tuberville for every AU/LSU incident of the recent past and presume that his motivation for such was his intense hatred for LSU. Again, I think all of Tuberville's actions were for his team's benefit or best interest with no consideration given to who the opponent was. I feel like Tuberville could have lessened the bad feelings, but Tuberville has never spoken up to explain his part in the events or his reasoning behind his actions.

You are correct in that we Auburn fans are viewed as Tuberville agents or representatives. Those that despise Tuberville seem to despise us with the same level of enthusiasm. It is a shame too. I think Tuberville is misunderstood and given too much credit for the bad blood, and I feel like Auburn fans are unfairly characterized as a result.

Anyway, hopefully Tuberville's reasoning and motives (good or bad) will come to light before long and all of this hate can be cast into hell where it belongs.

Claw:

Bragging is permited and should be expected when a team wins the SEC, much less the national title. Considering how long it has been, you know that Auburn fans would be enjoying themselves as much as you all if not more. The bragging part though just falls on deaf ears with everyone but UF. Everyone else does nott need to be told because we have already been whooped by you guys(UGA twice). Your team's might is appreciated and respected.

One last comment, I think some AU and LSU fans have taken the stance of "already been disrespected" by the other. That explains the level of bad blood.

I truly hope that LSU pounds the you know what out of Oklahoma and that everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. You all be safe down there in the big city for New Years. :)

Take care,
    Dave