More Kiffin - Foot in Mouth, Again/Official Tenn Recruiting Violations Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by DRC, Feb 13, 2009.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

thats because the name kiffin was in the title. that makes it one of those threads you cant help but look at even if you dont want to, kinda like a car wreck. :hihi:

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Okie, you figured me out, that's exactly how I feel. Like one of my Bama friends told me " I don't want to see him run off... I hope that joker's there for a long time.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

This is a funny read from a father who brought his son to a ND camp and then to a Tenn camp.

A Tale of Two Camps Alexandria

4. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Good stuff bhelm.

There has been a bunch of other stuff happen in the last few weeks too that I havent posted. Nothing earth shattering but certainly not complimentary for the staff.

We are spending this weekend with my wifes family at our lake house so I should get another ear full. I will report back next week.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

yep. and i found it interesting that the dad that wrote it is a ut grad. my favorite parts....

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Wow, that was just pathetic. BHelm, do you know of any similar blogs that would give the uninitiated (such as myself) an idea of how The Hat's camp runs, and the impression it makes on campers and their parents?

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

After the June camp almost every update the prospects were talking about techniques that they learned that they were going to bring back to their HS to teach to their teammates. From what I have gathered, Miles runs a tight ship with every prospect learning something new, smooth day to day schedules, one on one assistance, great tours, one on one time with the parents to discuss what we have in mind for their kids' education and where they fit on the football field etc... Basically a good mix between recruiting and teaching.

The academic center is always a hit along with the indoor practice facility, Tiger Stadium, and Mike the Tiger. Oh and don't forget the food.

I have not seen anything like this where a parent reflects on every detail.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Here's a few more tidbits I got from the family during the 4th of July holiday. Not all concern Kiffin. We actually spent very little time talking football, which is unusual, but he was needing a break from it all.

- The dismissed Strength & Conditioning coach received the FULL payout on his contract. Tenn administrators/lawyers conceded the employee was fired without cause and it cost the athletic department about 350K

- There have been 2 instances of break-ins during camps and visits by high school players. In one of those cases another high school player was the one breaking into other players rooms and stealing cell phones, ipods, debit cards, etc. The concern in the athletic department is Kiffin/Orgeron/etc are bringing in recruits with character issues. (DUH!) Supposedly most of this has been kept to a bare minimum of publicity.

- There have been other high school players on campus who felt the same way as the guy who wrote that blog Bhelm posted. There have also been a lot of players who like Kiffins and Orgerons style. Problem is again, the ones who seem to like that style are the ones who have major character concerns. This was a real problem for Fulmer and its not going unnoticed with Kiffin. One of the biggest concerns is the supposedly hard core vulgar rap music being played over the loud speakers. Everything is muthafugga this, muthafugga that, biotches, etc. Not something the old stooges at rocky flop would appreciate.

- Some of the local media homers are quietly questioning the AD off the record about his commitment to Kiffin. The AD is stuck with Kiffin and is defending him vigorously. His neck is on the line for this hire and if Kiffin doesnt work out the AD is gone too.

- The AD has, for the time being, calmed most of the big boosters but its still a sticky situation. Now that Kiffin is off the speaking tour things have been relatively quiet. There is some minor damage control being done in the athletic department because in some cases Kiffin didnt come off particularly well at the alumni groups.

- The Fulmer backers have eased off the gas. They have resigned themselves to the fact Kiffin isnt going anywhere but its suspected they will pounce again if things go south.

- The staff rearrangements and handlers who prepare Kiffin for media interviews is working out. He knows the questions before hand and has answers prepared. This is another reason you aren't hearing anymore gaffes.

- The athletic department is making a big effort to calm expectations for the next couple years. They are walking a tightrope though. They dont want to blame the beloved son, Fulmer, but the fact of the matter is the coaching staff dont have much confidence in the talent.

1 person likes this.