MLB Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Jun 2, 2006.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

well the mets actually lost a few of those games pedro got a no decision in. i think over time those games will instead be easy wins that dont tax the best guys in the bullpen in pressure situations. and the mets badly need easy wins where they can pitch the last guy in the bullpen instead of constantly burning duaner sanchez and aaron heilman.

and also, it isnt all luck that makes all the one run games go to the mets. it is because they have the stronger bullpen that holds the game until the mets score a walkoff. i think they have 10 walkoffs now after saturday night.

glavine has improved and changed his game, he actually uses a curveball now. very occasionally, but still i think the idea he might throw it can bother hitters. plus he changed his strategy from his old atlanta style of pounding the outside corner because it wasnt working in shea, a questec park. so i dont think his hot streak is an anomaly that will go away. i think he will win games in the world series this year. he has been lighting it up since the all-star break last year.

2. clair

clair Rockets

yeah... this is very true...

I thought they shoulda kept Julio for that reason. Just one more good arm back there.

I though he was too much to give up for El-Duque who isn't doing much his 1st 2 starts

3. clair

clair Rockets

Martin,

Do you like the Yankees?

I am just curious.

I always like to track the tendencies of people from Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago to see who the fans are loving this year...

No matter what the Yankees did, I'd hate them, but that is just me.

I actually find that most people who are Met fans are just indifferent and don't care what they do

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

no i do not like the yankees. the yankees have 3 types of fans:

1. stuffy rich corporate jerks.

2. latin gangsta criminals from the south bronx

3. tourists.

the mets fanbase is ordinary working fellas and friendly familes. shea stadium is friendly like alex box except alot more ethnicities and not nearly as fat. yankee stadium is criminals and rich people showing off how much they paid for their field box seats.

i go to about one yankee game a year, mostly to see the opposition. this year i saw the rangers.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

please tell me you don't participate in the, "everybody clap your hands" atrocity in between each mets at bat do you?

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i do, and with enthusiasm! also it sometimes makes me laugh because it sounds like "everyboy crap your pants".

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

oh i know what i wanted to tell you. we were flipping thru some channels and ran across the mets when beltran asked for time but the ump didnt grant it.

it was keith hernandez and some other schmuck. the pbp dude asked why it wasnt given and he said some umps like to show they are in control of the game etc etc. he was having a hard time explaining it then said, i guess its whats you'd call rednecks.

i think he meant red-assed but he said rednecks and the convo pretty much stopped. too bad he didnt says niggards.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

One thing to remember, the Mets haven't hit their stride offensively. In fact they slumped the majority of May. Floyd is just now coming around (believe me he is on my fantasy team). Delgado is a horrid slump, busted a homer tonite, is gonna get back on track.

Mets will run away with this division (at least by 8 games).

Cardinals suck. They have no starting rotation past Carpenter. And even Carpenter hasn't proven anything in the playoffs (was hurt one year).

By the way, speaking of sucking, damn here we go again for the 3rd straight year with the DisAstros/Astros. What the hell? Lost their 4th straight at home, getting spanked by the resurgent Cubicles. Does anybody see a 3rd straight year of Garner magic? I say at this point I don't, but at the same time I can't doubt it after the past 2 roller coaster seasons.

Tirk, you never properly thanked me for Verlander.

9. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

The Braves wheels have fallen off within the last week. Coming off a 6-3 road trip the week before and playing 23 out of the next 39 games at home you would think that would be an advantage. Doesn't look good.

Cardinals dropped one last night, Izzy gave up a 3-run HR to Jr. Gave that one away. Don't know how long Pujols will be out.

What Detriot is doing is no fluke. They look very good.

Red Sox-Yankees series is at it again...

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

as a red sox fan i'm very concered about beckett. looked like cy young early, but now...........