Michigan and Notre Dame Exposed as Frauds

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Dec 29, 2018.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Already answered how, jack leg.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

What are you driving at here, kcal?

We're in the middle of a discussion about Notre Dame. A discussion based on the premise they didn't belong in the playoffs based on their game against Clemson. If we're going with one premise as being true—which it certainly isn't—are you saying because of the '11 game by LSU in the BCS title game they didn't belong? I don't believe that for a second. LSU made it through the season undefeated, just like Notre Dame.

My contention, as stated very simply, is a move to eight is going to lead to more bad ball games. It's will lead to more blow outs.
    And, it will not be good for college football.

Don't misunderstand me here. I've stated I was against the playoffs from day one. I don't have the agreement of Bama fans in this matter. To that point, I've asked many why do you want to expand to eight games? The answer always revolves around "what if Bama has a bad year? There's a chance they'll get in."

If Bama, or any other team, had a bad year they don't deserve to be included. If we'd stayed in the BCS system Bama wouldn't have as many titles as they have won over the last decade. And, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Back to your early statement in closing. 2011 got it right. The BCS matched the two best teams in the nation.

3. kcal

kcal Founding Member

and would have had the 4 best had Georgia been invited this year

uscvball likes this.
  4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Every region should have its opportunity? What has any team done on the West coast to deserve a shot this season?

I've yet to see any "sense" being made out of eight teams. I've seen many a reason the move to the playoffs hasn't been good for the game. Unless you're one that thinks it's okay for players to quit on their teams before their bowl games.

In a nutshell we having conversation here about a team not belonging in the playoffs but we're seeing people say we need more teams like Notre Dame in they playoffs. The game needs more blow outs.

The disparity in scores isn't ideal for the playoffs but it certainly isn't a sign the playoffs need to expand. If anything, it suggest they need to contract.

I suppose there's a simple solution to this blowouts: don't do anything. Adding to the field will only serve to make this "problem" worse than it is.

How much sense does it make to water down the playoffs while at the same time watering down the regular season? I can't find any reason.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It's funny you mention OSU and then go on with the "do over" mantra so familiar to your fan base. I didn't see a soul here complaining about their inclusion in '14. It only comes up when it's Bama. And, that's understandable in spite of it being a bit "off."

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Everything he's said about the playoffs has come true. It's diminishing what is happening in the regular season--a fact he pointed to. It's diminished the bowl games--another fact he pointed to.

You're taking comments from a post game press conference where he was being gracious. Now, please don't misunderstand me here. UGA had a good ball team this season. But, there's no coach in his right mind that's going to put UGA in over ND this season. UGA had their chance and they blew it against LSU. They doubled down with their loss in the SECCG.

No. They don't. You've seen it three times since '12 all involving Stanford: USC, Arizona State, and UCLA. It's not indicative of what's happened over history.

Since the advent of the conference championship games 20 of 33 have been won twice. We've seen two top four ranked teams get their revenge: Nebraska in '99 and Oregon in '14. On the flip side of that we saw #2 Tennessee lose to LSU in the SEC title game that followed a UT victory over LSU in '01. We've also seen a #3 Texas team lose to Colorado in the Big12 CG after winning by 30+ in the regular season.

The rest of these rematches have had no bearing on how the season(s) ended.

Give me an argument about 2011 that makes sense to keep Bama out.

There were two teams with one loss, one undefeated in LSU. Are you going to suggest that Okie State, after losing to an unranked team, deserved to be in the title game versus Alabama who had lost one game as well--to the #1 team in the nation?

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

No. It hasn't.

We might have an upset isn't a reason to change anything.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

That's simply ignoring the fact they had their chance and blew their chance--chances, in fact.

As stated, their loss to LSU puts them out. Their loss to Bama in the SECCG sealed their fate. A two loss team isn't one of the best teams in the country because they lost two games. I would agree with you IF Notre Dame had a regular season loss; or Clemson, or Bama. The 13th data point would have pushed the Bulldogs into that spot.

9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

You mentioned them first, dumbass. Linchpin to your entire argument. They are a distant second to you gumps but they dont "deserve" special consideration either. Your logic fails. Stay off the meth.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

We’re still going based on “feel”. “Feel” is flawed. Determine things on the field. You can’t do that when there isn’t enough room for all the P5 conferences, let alone G5. As a SEC fan you don’t care about college football as a whole, but what we have isn’t good enough for the sport.

And by having 8 teams you’ll have MORE competitive games, not less.