Men's Basketball Recruting (2014)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by mrgreen21, Mar 18, 2013.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

So, just saw the news. Tremendous work by the staff after late summer, we thought maybe LSU would be shut out of some commitments from others out there.

With this PG commitment, LSU picks up a top 60 player in Elbert Robinson and two very underrated players in Epps and Patterson. Both players can be considered late summer bloomers, with offers coming on strong from other serious Div I players. Patterson, getting a lot of looks from SEC schools, hailing from Atlanta.

More footage on the kid...

Rivals reports this morning about Patterson: "A native of Georgia who now attends Montverde (Fla.) Academy, Patterson is a sturdy floor general and fringe Rivals150 level player. He gets the ball to teammates, is willing to knock home a jumper and does a good job of limiting his mistakes."

Sounds like something that every team needs a smart, heady, player who can grow into a role. That said, is the kid better than say, Corban Collins, who decided to leave LSU after a year? We'll see. It's certainly a PG we need, and someone that will be able to improve his final year of prep school playing with high major Div I prospects.

With this commitment, it does a few things. First, CJJ is banking on a schollie opening up next spring with either someone going pro, or perhaps that schollie for Bridgewater converting to a pay your own way deal. It also solidifies this classes' ties into GA and Montverde prep where Ben Simmons is going to be a 2015 prospect. I like the CJJ overarching approach of recruiting LA, TX and GA pretty consistently. That's going to be the LSU pipeline for years to come. Doesn't it feel good to have a solid class done before November signing period?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    mrgreen21 likes this.
  2. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Fantastic pickup, but I notice of the top 20 for both ESPN and Rivals, he's the first to commit. What do you think we should read into what is a pretty early commitment compared to the rest of the field? Is he that sold on LSU, or is CJJ going to have to fight tooth and nail for the next 12 months to keep him?

4. TGer'nLHornLand

I think, fortunately or unfortunately, a little bit of both. I think you have to look at this as a HUGE statement for LSU hoops, for CJJ and CDavid Patrick and what is going on at LSU in terms of basketball. At the same time any time a 2015 commitment, close to 2+ years out is at stake, you've got to acknowledge that this is by no means a done deal. So much could happen... including players/coaches leave, changes of heart, etc.

What you can take comfort in, however, is the fact that David Patrick is the kids godfather. Think back to Butch Pierre and Tasmin Mitchell. Also, from the sounds of things, this kid is not the type of kid that takes his word and his gut feelings for granted. See blog reported today: http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/social-hub/blogs/item/965-the-ben-simmons-blog

More off the presses: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...6-recruit-ben-simmons-commits-lsu-tigers-2015

The kid makes the analogy to how he picked Montverde Prep over other powerhouse preps, like Findlay in LV. I also think you've got to give credence to the snowball effect of recruiting. It's a lot easier to commit to LSU when you see kids like Jarrell Martin, Jordan Mickey, Elbert Robinson, Darcy Malone (remember... another Aussie who knows Ben Simmons), and Jalyn Patterson already there. Whether these guys are all there long-term, good players always want to play with other good players they know. You have to give Kudos to CJJ for (1) building his staff with assistants that have the connections, and (2) a strategic 1, 2 and 3 year year recruiting plan putting the right players in place in the right grades, in the right positions on the court---it truly shows recruiting vision and incredibly hard work.

There's a lot to wait on here, but this is just frankly, AMAZING. I've said this in the past, but now, there's a good chance it will come true...

PACK THE PMAC. the MAGIC IS BACK!!!!!! BOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!

5. mrgreen21

I think he's ours for the long haul...Coach JJ and Patrick pulled out all the stops. On top of Coach Patrick being his godfather...
    "Last week, it was announced that his brother, Liam Tribe-Simmons, was hired as an assistant coach at Nicholls State. It is the first college job for Tribe-Simmons, who had previously been a high school coach in Arizona. Nicholls is also where Patrick got his first college job, also under Colonols' coach J.P. Piper, who also coached Patrick in high school"
    http://louisianastate.scout.com/2/1335806.html
    He has also stated his recruitment is done and is not taking another visit!

Ben's Unofficial this weekend came about cause he was visiting his brother at Nicholls State, who decided well since your coming down we might as well take the hour long trip to Baton Rouge! Coach JJ knows how to play the game. I was reading an article that was interviewing Elbert Robertson's dad an he said he and the family were surprised that Shaq just so happened to be visiting the practice facility the same time they were! Even while recruiting Victor Craig you could see Coach JJ making Chess moves by hiring coach McCray. Coach JJ is the man, I havent been this excited about basketball in a long time!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  6. mrgreen21

This kid is going to be a stud! He's listed as a PF but I see a lot of SF in his game...

7. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

I have this weird grin on my face kinda like I had when Dale Brown got Shack & Chris Jackson. This is awesome! WE BACK!!!!!!

8. mrgreen21

You can't tell me this doesn't get you hype!

9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Sweet! Thanks for posting that.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

Not sure the "real" situation here with this, but in latest recruiting news, LSU hosted 2014 combo PG prospect, Miles Reynolds, from Chicago this past weekend. Visit went well, and there was positive vibes coming from Miles: http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/in.../2126-miles-reynolds-talks-lsu-official-visit

But, fact still remains, we might not have any schollies at this point. So, does CJJ take another commitment assuming someone is gone? I think we're basically waiting until the Spring, right?