Men v #15 Xavier; 7pm Sat; ESPN2

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Jan 23, 2009.

1. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

I couldn't agree more, but the good thing is the disappointment was not that we have a team that doesn't know how to put together a win against a good team (which is where we were this time last year) but disappointment because there was confidence that we could have won. This was best team that we've played all year and we were really competitive. The D was there and they didn't give up. I think if we had one big man with good size that would change the season. If CJ was at least 220 ( i don't care what you say that dude is not 205) that 7 foot freshman would have had a harder time scoring in the paint and with his leaping ability he would have had his way.

Plus lets remember when CTJ got the job no nobody though that this team had the chance to get to the tournament. A few people used the word potential but the consensus was give CTJ about two years and LSU will be headed in the right direction. With a week SEC and a few more home blow outs of conference teams getting to the tournament doesn't sound far crazy. Also by the end of the season you have to expect that the team will be a little better and may be a little more competitive.

2. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Dude, Xavier was really good last night. They were good inside and outside. If it was that easy for them, they wouldn't have been losing at half to LSU.

Yes, LSU got drummed by a very average Utah team. That's life. It sucks, but it happens. The Hornets got drilled by the Jazz up there around the same time. It doesn't make me think that the Hornets aren't capable of playing really good. It happens to many teams. As long as it doesn't become a pattern, then it's not a huge problem. Kentucky lost to Virginia Military, they seem to be doing fine now.

The team played hard and had many close shots that just didn't fall. The difference was that Xavier was 20-24 from the line. We're not as good as them, but we competed well and it was a great crowd.

Fans have a little excitement because LSU has killed it's last three SEC opponents (average as they may be), has a great chance at winning the West and could possibly make the tournament. I don't see the big deal. Nobody called the coach Obama yet...

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

the reasons for the loss are obvious.

no post D because cj is too skinny and tasmin is too short.---i would like to have seen cj and quentin in there together.

tasmin was horrible offensively. 5-17. it wasnt for lack of effort, though (he had 6 offensive rebounds). a good team will always be able to shut down tas if they really try. marcus will often get his, but they will shut down tas and the lack of a 3rd scorer will keep this team from doing much. i would have like to have seen more plays for cj with his face up game

the next game is a good chance at a notable win @ UT. lsu matches up better against them. itll be interesting to see the intensity on the road after the loss.

4. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

They were. TJ put the two of them in at same time a good bit.

On a side note.... big Q doesn't really like attention. We went make Q shirts, and every time he looked up at us, he got a little embarrassed and shy. His girlfriend loved them though.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i really dont think so. heck, look at their minutes played. they add up to 43, so if they overlapped much that meant that there were many minutes were neither of them were in, and i sure dont remember that. maybe at the very end when it was desperate?

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I think if you go back and watch the tape, they played together in stretches of the second half, with really QT in the middle and CJ out playing 4. Tas was also out there for bits, so they formed the "big" line up. That was also when Temple switched to 2 and Terry Martin was in actually at times running point. You could argue that the "big" line up wasn't very effective given the lack of scoring, not sure it helped us a ton on boards either, although I do think QT and CJ played generally hard. They are just going to have to continue to get better and step up. In the rest of the SEC, they've got to play like they are big dogs down there on the blocks. I do think LSU's bigs against a smaller SEC this year, can be effective. Interesting, Chism and others on Tenn's team will test these guys further.