Mayhaw always been my favorite jelly

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, May 1, 2017.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

[​IMG]

COTiger likes this.
  2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Looks good. Iconthumbup.gif

3. jvalhenson

I am going to say this and I hope it does not sound to much like bragging since this is my old family recipe and I am just doing what I have been taught but this is the absolute best jelly I have ever tasted much less made. I do not know what why or how it is so much better than any other batch of even mayhaw but it is. Bound to just be something about this years batch of berries. I had dropped off a few jars to my grandmaw's on my way to work Tuesday. My brother and his kid went over there that afternoon and she had just made a bunch of gollets so they of course had to sample it on those. He called me just to say how good it was so of course I had to make another stop by there too since i was headed that way anyways and tried it. Somehow I didnt try any while I making it but i piled it on a couple gollets and good grief is this stuff good.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

You sure are an industrious coot.

5. jvalhenson

like a duck? I got a cousin that moved to Oregon but that just aint my kinda place. To many naked bike rides for me(they participate in all of them freaking weirdos.) I am sure I could find some critters to kill or fish to catch though....I have spent a good bit of time in Northern (and southern) Cali fishing for Halibut and other pacific fish and at eagle lake at my grandpaw's cabin so Oregon bound to be at least somewhat similar to northern Cali at least in places. Eagle lake is awesome packed full of fish and huge mule deer just walking around the cabin yards. Hard not to want to eat those too but even for me those are to tame.....not that I would not eat one def would but it would not be hunting it.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What is a gollet? Are you eating pokemons?

Golett is a bipedal, clay Pokémon constructed in the ancient past to protect a civilization of people and Pokémon. There are two different shades of blue ...

7. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

The west side of Oregon is wet and beautiful, but thick with underbrush,.. the east side (where I live) is dry and beautiful, easy to move around in, more user friendly to hunt and fish, lots of mule deer. My Grandma called us all, "coots", a friendly term. Yep, lots of weirdo hippies in Oregon, my kind of people, they're more on the west side though, here I'm surrounded by rednecks.

I enjoy reading your threads,.. Go Ducks

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The less said about the naked bike riders of Portland the better.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  9. jvalhenson

best I cant describe it is a somewhat flattened biscuit cooked on a skillet but it is not a biscuit.....different texture all together and IMO much much better. Similar to a hoe cake but again not exactly. I am not real sure where they came from just been eating them my entire life and everyone around us here knows what they are but I have not seen anyone outside of about 10 miles around my house that knows of them unless we introduced them to em. Can be made as smaller individual sized bout palm sized or so or can just fill the skillet up with it and make a big one to cut off of.

10. jvalhenson

My Dad's dad was in the Air Force and was stationed in Southern Cali which is where when he retired and got a really good job at sears so he stayed and now splits his time between there, his cabin at eagle lake, the desert in AZ setting up water troughs for the desert sheep and quail hunting, and traveling the country in the RV. Been out there several times....for me southern cal SUCKS but does have some decent fishing but northern cal at the lake is great. Not saying it sucks for everyone if you like the city urban type life then I am sure you would love it there but that is def not for me obviously. Northern Cal and southern cal seem like totally different worlds. Which Eagle lake is in NE Cali on the far NE side of the Lassen National Forest so would be maybe comparable to south central Oregon I guess.