Man vs. Wild

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CajunlostinCali, Aug 13, 2008.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I disagree. Although a road map is not laid out for some particular situations, the elements for surviving the environment are there. I agree there is sensationalism as this is entertainment so therefore outlining the danger for cheating death and so on sells for cable however there is nothing presented that would be considered improper for any survival situation. What can be taken from this show are the use of available resources required to survive.

Like red said there is a huge bounty of recourses in Louisiana swamps but what is overlooked (trench foot, crotch rot, water not necessarily designed for drinking and so on), those are the elements you have to survive. There are a billion different uses for cat tails; one of those just may enhance an element like fire! These are the things I take from this show.

2. CajunlostinCali

Agreed, and you can take that for what it is worth given both series. I enjoy them both for the reasons you mention but to say Stroud owns Grylls is a pedigree statement, which I opposed.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

the problem with bear's survival techniques is his methods are the exact opposite that are taught. you arent supposed to be repelling or climbing steep areas if you are downed. you arent supposed to be going down freezing rapids with just your backpack.

you are taught to stay in the general area and hope to be rescued. But theres no way I could just sit and wait. plus it would make for boring tv, a la stroud.

of course bear has to make it entertaining but when the dude strips down and jumps into subzero ice in alaska thats crazy. when he eats some rotting zebra or swallows snakes whole, its pretty nuts.

he is a mad climber and has topped everest losing a couple friends along the way. all that climbing is for show because 99% of all people would no way be able to do any of the things he does. its impractical.

but the les stroud dude does nothing but complain and basically bores the hell out of me. his attitude is pretty terrible. he looks like hes some lost dude just winging it with no clue what hes doing. i just dont dig his show. maybe if I had seen his show first it wouldnt seem so boring.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's the staged things that bother me. In the Sierra Nevada he finds a mountain pond, walks into it with a limb, stands there about 3 seconds then smacks the water with a huge whack. Then it cuts away to Bear gutting a big trout.

My ass.

5. CajunlostinCali

Certainly there are a lot of assumptions that can be made for the entertainment portions injected into both shows. What is believable or unbelievable remains with the reality of the positions one may find themselves in. Do I want to cross the Baja on foot, NO but could a plane crash putting you there as a survivor be probable, certainly so therefore the lessons I take are those which enhance the probability of survival. I likes my creature comforts and I can confirm that my own survival rate in more then ¾ of the scenarios presented should be fatal if not life altering but dammit I know cat tails make for a fine insulating pillow which can either be eaten or used for warmth. Catching a gator with boot laces…

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Ok, so lets recap.

- Bear Gryls comes to Louisiana swamps where BigFoot is.
    - Bigfoot runs to Georgia where Les Stroud is knwo to spend time in swamps.
    - Bigfoot is found dead in Georgia.
    - Chupacabarachachachacha is found running in Texas, apparently away from Louisiana.

What else is going on?

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

or how about the rabbit he killed with that homemade boomerang or whatever it was. that was funny.

plus he ends up with rabbits in his snares he leaves out. :lol: just a couple loops of rope placed and voila a jackrabbit while you sleep.

i do dig how he rips salmon apart with his teeth while they're still alive.

if for no other reason, the peta people are cringing.

8. slippery pete

slippery pete Founding Member

I want to see them take either of these guys, blind fold them and drop them somewhere where they don't know where they are. The only thing with them is what they have in their pockets is car keys, wallet and maybe a small pocket knife, you know, stuff the average Joe carries around with them.

That would be more authentic to me for a real "Survival Show", although I understand the premise of these shows being "You can survive if you do the following..."

Les Stroud did it realtively close to that when he did the stranded a sea episode. His chase boat actually lost him for a while. Then when storms moved in, they tethered him to the boat for safety. Although I think that the chase boat may have had a role in getting him so close to that island he "came across", it was still interesting and informative.

9. slippery pete

slippery pete Founding Member

That was awesome...

Bear Grylls Steps to Eating Fresh in the Great Outdoors

1) Craft boomerang out of tree branch
    2) Practice throw
    3) Hone boomerang for precision strikes
    4) Practice throw
    5) Live throw, kill prey
    6) Roast over open fire with bears staring in envy.

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

its tv, and it would be boring without the bs drama. he is teaching people techniques, not trying to see if he can stay alive. of course you and i would stay in a hotel.

true
    true

true

true

true