LSU vs Virginia Commonwealth

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COTiger, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is there any college basketball team in America who is winner big and not paying recruits something? I would be very surprised that there is even one.

In sports at the college level and especially the basketball there are rules and there are unwritten rules. Any coach who doesn't find a way to funnel some money to big time recruits is out of a job.

Which would you rather do? Sell basketball or sell insurance or cars?

lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

People justify malfeasance in all walks of life until they get caught. Keeping up with the Jones’ mentality is not okay when it’s has the potential to jeopardize an entire athletic department. I’m certainly no Saint (well I am a Saints fan), and I’m not naive enough to not be aware that this shyte goes on, but also not dismissive of it for the coach of the university that I’m connected to and support in many ways. I expect better than that despite how good of a young coach he is. Miles ran a class football program despite his other negatives. It’s what I respected the most about him. I sure hope Oeaux is doing the same, and Manieri, and our basketball coach.

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

les didnt pay players?

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. ParadiseiNC

Not that I’m aware of. Why do you pick up that one comment?

If other schools start juicing players regularly, do we need to keep up with that as well? Where’s the line?

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

well you said les ran a classy operation. i was curious if you knew whether or not he paid players. but it looks like you dont know. given that paying is widespread in high level college sports, why would we assume les didnt pay?

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I enjoyed last season until all of the news came out surrounding WW. After that it was a real let down but I continued to cheer for the team but I didn't want them to be a bunch of cheaters. I use to be against college players being paid but for many reasons but one good thing for it is it would bring all of this out of the shadows. I am talking about the executive order the California governor signed and I believe the NCAA is now agreeing to players being paid starting in a few years although not sure who is paying them and where it is coming from.

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

The media jumped on WW, brushing all other shady goings-on under the rug. It’s the equivalent of CNN/FOX feeding us a false narrative. It’s naive to believe everyone but WW is clean, especially with all the anecdotal info to the contrary.

I like O’s selective suspensions of players, and WW’s willingness to play within the unwritten rules. He’s driving 10 over the speed limit and the media wants you to believe everyone else is going the speed limit. Did you hear Vitale’s comments, twisting in a pretzel to condemn WW but exonerate Pitino?

I believe Woodward is smart enough to play within the unwritten rules. Alleva wasn’t.

Sourdoughman and Bengal B like this.
  8. ParadiseiNC

It’s one thing for you to have an opinion that paying is widespread in high level college sports, and I’m sure others agree and share your opinion. It’s another to have evidence, as is the case for WW. That’s the line for me. Justifying his actions, IMO, is not okay. We’re doing what everyone complains that Auburn, Alabama, Louisville, etc do, but now it’s okay because we like WW, he’s a good coach, and we want to win, and he’s just doing what others are doing. That’s poor ethics and will come back to bite us eventually. Always does.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

your assumption that les didnt pay seems a bit naive.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Anybody who thinks players are not being paid should go look st the parking lots where players park. Everybody knows the Derrius Guice story about a kid with a single mother raising his family in a bad part of town yet Derrius drove a brand new top of the line Mustang.

Sourdoughman likes this.