LSU vs. Mississippi State -- possible game times (11 am, or 2:30 pm, or 5 pm)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Oct 7, 2019.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

No. They did not. The complaint was the number of day games versus other schools in the conference. It just so happened it was an early kickoff week when Cecil wrote the article, fans got behind it, and Byrne brought it up.

Your own administration sent a complaint to the SEC offices five years ago and how many night games to we see yearly in Baton Rouge? A HELL of a lot more than other schools.

Mike Scarborough tweeted a pic of DV Saturday referencing the early kickoff to the number of empty seats. Attendance was not the driving factor in the Alabama administration bringing this up. The point of it being 98° at 11AM ... the point of it being the state was under a heat advisory ... and after the fact, the point of it being there were right at three times the number of medical situations due to the heat. There needs to be some consideration in cases like this.

A good part of this is the price of success. CBS selects Alabama a lot for their day games because the brand brings viewers. Even still, schools across the board should be afforded more leeway in when games are kicked off...not just one.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Not in September's heat. No SEC school should be. No 11:00 games for the schools you mentioned? Nah...every school in the conference should have their early, afternoon, and evening games.

I was out for a walk a few minutes ago listening to Herbie on one of ESPN's podcast. He mentioned it was supposed to be 73° in BR Saturday. That's a hell of a lot different than close to 100° and under a heat advisory.

3. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Well dang, isn’t that what we are complaining about? Potentially 3 11am games. It was brutally hot this past Saturday

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Doth protest too much.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

PAC should play at 11AM CST. Wont hurt their attendance numbers and they finally get some primetime day coverage, right @uscvball?

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Alabama complaining about unfair treatment. : /

furduknfish likes this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Tuscaloosa is more oppressive than BR in general. I’m going to need stats on that one.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The heat is a factor, but ultimately its about tradition. LSU has played night games at home since 1931. On the other hand, the only game I've ever attended in Bryant-Denny was around 1983, in the days when most CFB games were not televised. The opponent was Cincinnati, definitely not a TV worthy game and it was a late morning or early afternoon kickoff; game started and ended in broad daylight. I've always assumed daytime kickoffs are the norm for Bama unless TV intervenes.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

this is akin to the sec permanent opponent system

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

No. Too effing bad it's hot in the day in the South. MLB playoffs are sometimes in the snow. And then? Stop playing cupcakes and the time will get moved to evening. C'mon Terry....you know the reason you get midday starts has far more to do with WHO you are playing and not just the fact THAT you are playing.

Moo U is 3-2, unranked. And GTFOOH with the idea that any team should play at 9AM. USC's attendance numbers can't get much worse and we don't deserve prime time day coverage.